Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Organism Fin Fish Tail Underwater

So my bolivian ram pair had babies.
It has been about a week and the fries started to move around and swim.

I dont know how efficient it would be to just pour brine shrimp in the tank because there are green neons with them.

Should i separate them from their parents for better care and feeding?

If i shoud do so, how should i catch them?

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Congratulations!
If the fry are not getting eaten by any of the other fish in the tank, I would leave them with the parents. Are they free-swimming yet?
And yes, you can try feeding with brine shrimp. But, you're right - the Neons will almost certainly dart in and eat all of the food!
What has worked well for me is to try this stuff made by Hikari called 'First Bites'
Food Green Ingredient Animal feed Cuisine

I just basically put a small amount of that food in a small bowl with tank water to soften it up. Then using a thin straw, you can just blow some of it right down close to where the fry are, so everyone gets something to eat.
Works great!

·
Registered
99 Posts
If I remove fry I try to take them in the wiggler stage. I use a small diameter hose to syphon them out of the tank and into a bucket. You can do the same thing when they become free swimming. If you want to target feed the fry you can use a turkey baster or a length of pipe. If using a pipe just pour the brine shrimp into the pipe and point the other end towards the fry and the bbs should swim down towards the fry.
Hikari First Bites or the dust left over in a fish food container are also good fry feeds

1 - 3 of 3 Posts