Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have two bolivian rams who both breathing heavily. Both were placed in quarantined (3 weeks) and medicated.

After placing them in the normal tank, they both started breathing heavily. The tank has been established for about six months. There are no aggressive fish in the tank which leads me to believe it's not stress.
  • 0 ammonia
  • 0 nitrite
  • 5ppm nitrate
  • 75-77 degrees
Both seem to have a reduced appetite and potentially reddish gills (unsure) but here's a video. Would appreciate any help!

Premium Member
This seems like a potential case of water chemistry shock to me. The water parameters of the quarantine tank they were placed in may have become quite different from those that are inside the larger aquarium. So, unless you are very careful with S.L.O.W. transfer methods over to the new tank such as drip acclimation, it is quite possible to cause water chemistry shock to a very sensitive Cichlid species such as the Bolivian Ram. And unfortunately, the symptoms you describe are almost exactly what you can expect if this has happened.
And sorry, there is no 'magic treatment' or other thing I know of that you can apply when your fish is dealing with a set of burned gills. You just have to wait (and sweat) it out when this happens, and hope they will recover on their own. 馃槦

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Auballagh. I'll definitely look into that. I appreciate the post 馃檹

1 - 3 of 3 Posts