Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After realizing that there was no possible way to boil these huge pieces of driftwood over the stove, me and my bro put our brains together, and came up with this. A 16 gallon tub. It worked really really good, and the water was boiling more then it would of on the stove. We just kept adding sticks, and it stayed at a good boil for hours. It was a huge success. Anyway, I thought I would post some pictures, and give you all some laughs :D This is Dedication...

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Yes, sir. Some of these Texans are right slow to catch on. A quarter's worth of bleach and an overnight soak would have given you a lot more fun time.

Smile--- No offense meant. I have a friend that does it that way all the time!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont think bleach would of done the same job, and I wouldnt want to worry about getting all the bleach out of the wood. This wood was really dirty. Either way, I'm 16, what else should i spend my weekend doing? :D

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
PfunMo
I'll go even one better than you... just add to your fish tank... no boiling, no bleach, no problems.
:lol:

howmany
bleach is actually perfectly safe and cannot soak into wood or anything like that... prime will take care of all if you are paranoid. I use bleach on a number of things for cichlids and reef tank alike. If it's safe for sps corals, it's safe for anything freshwater! :wink:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips, now I know for next time. But this wood was way to dirty to put into my tank without doing something to it it... Unless ofcourse You enjoy brown water...lol :) I will surely remember bleaching method next time... All is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
^ It's Texas, it's been like 70-80* here for the last 2 weeks already. Perfect weather now, I'm dreading the soon to be 100s.

Does bleaching driftwood remove the tannins?

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
RRasco said:
Does bleaching driftwood remove the tannins?
Not in my experience, no...

To clean rocks or driftwood, I might pressure wash with a weak pressure washer (electric, etc. ) or just thoroughly with the hose. To remove tannins, soaking is the only way that I know of.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Cleaning and soaking are different than removing tannins, for sure. The first is quick and easy. Removing tannins can be a real drag. I know of no reliable way to remove tannins quickly as it takes months of soaking for water to penetrate some large wood. Boiling may help to get it out of the surface but it will not get it out of the wood down a few inches. I find the best way to avoid the trauma of tannins is to select the wood more carefully so that you get truly dry wood rather than spending months to wait it out.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I normally use Malaysian driftwood which always leeches. Heck, I have a huge piece in my 110 that has been there for over a year and it still leeches.

·
Registered
213 Posts
howmany said:
I dont think bleach would of done the same job, and I wouldnt want to worry about getting all the bleach out of the wood. This wood was really dirty. Either way, I'm 16, what else should i spend my weekend doing? :D
I wondered where the beer was. :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ha :lol: Dont let the picture fool you...The beer was in my bros hand who was helping me...lol I find the taste of alcohol disgusting, not too mention that I'm too young to drink it... So I stick with Sprite 8)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts