Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a scale of 1-10. 1 bieing worst 10 bieing the best. Would pooring boiling hat water in a tank to get rid of a algae takeover be wise because no mater what spiecies of plant you are you can't a withstand 360 water temprature? :lol:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Umm... I sure wouldnt do it. Any inhabitants in there will not be very happy with you if they survive at all. Plus the sudden shock in temp COULD crack the glass.

I would say your at about a 47 on that so you might want to expand your scale.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Have you considered how much trouble you will have getting water up to 360 degrees? I believe it will only do that under serious pressure. A half cup bleach is much easier, safer and simpler to do. Just rinse it out and let it dry when you get done. I'm assuming you were not going to do this with fish , right?

·
Registered
361 Posts
If you do it, will you be so kind as to video tape it, place it on Youtube, and link us so we can learn from your experiences??? Pretty please?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Is this the ****** beard algae you're talking about? Boiling it hasn't done anything to it in my experience. I've boiled rocks covered in it for literally 24 hours, scrubbed them as clean as I could, and left them in sterile water to see what happens - the algae just grew again. That stuff is worse than cockroaches.

What eventually killed it? Well, I let them dry out for five years or so, and then boiled them, bleached them, boiled them and bleached them, with a good scrubbing in between. None of the ****** beard algae yet, and the tank has now been up for five months.

I hate that stuff :(

·
Registered
299 Posts
I hate the stuff also. Bleaching and scrubbing/scraping are the only ways I know of getting rid of it. Knowing why your getting the algae is the first step to make sure it doesn't come back.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have a 5.5g that got velvet in it and killed all the betta fry I was housing in it. I wanted to experiment with boiling water.... So I emptied the tank and placed it in the bath tub and boiled water. I boiled the water with salt in it to get a higher temp then 212f. I poured the water in the tank and all was fine. I put the glass top in the tank to get it clean too. The top ended up separating from its plastic strip but that was the extent of the damage. I let it cool over night in the tub and cleaned in the morning. I now house jewel fry in it with no problems.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Get yourself two small plecos or clown loaches. They will keep your tank clean and control your algae

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.