Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a group of Spathodus erythrodon and was wondering if anyone could suggest some appropriate tank mates for them. They are currently housed in a 30 gallon...

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Well, the gobies will do their best to kill each other in a 30 gallon (is that a 30" long tank, or 36" long?). Even if you get a compatible pair, the female will have no room to escape the male's attention and thus will likely die sooner than later. But- your question was what you could put in with them...

Gobies are typically not harmful to other tankmates, except for the easily spooked and the occasional fry snack. If you have some open sand available for a shell bed, a shell dweller (occies or multies) would do well. Or, you might try a small substrate spawner like J. transcriptus or J. ornatus. That said, I would recommend getting the gobies out of the 30 gallon as soon as their quarantine is over, and then using the 30 for both occies and julies. :thumb:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice! I have 5 that I'm hoping I can get a pair out of then I'll move the pair over to a larger tank and sell the remaining 3. I hold W/Cs for extended times so I was hoping to toss some other fish in that would be compatible for a few months.

Wonder how they'd fair with tricoti, kilesas and juvenile mobas? I feed that tank spirulina and NLS so the diet should be healthy for them. It's a super mellow tank that I'd hate to disrupt if they get unruly...

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
713J said:
I have 5 that I'm hoping I can get a pair out of then I'll move the pair over to a larger tank and sell the remaining 3.
I think you'll be unusually lucky if you don't end up with four dead gobies, but it could work out for you.

My advice is to finish their quarantine, then put all five in the big tank. They won't harm the other fish; gobies are kind of the clumsy puppies of Lake Tanganyika- they'll annoy everybody but don't do any real damage. I'm a little concerned with how fast your moba are growing- the gobies and sandsifters could make nice snacks...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts