Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
asked around about convicts, people are saying no bueno.
I have what i believe is a male ram in a community tank, and to be honest *** had him for some weeks, and i don't get what people are saying about them being easy to kill. But anyways.
Looking for something that i can pair up in 15 gallon tank, 1 male 1 female.
I have yet to set up this tank so i've got some time. But would they be ok?
If not id like to know something that would be ok as a pair in a 15 gallon tank.
Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what would be the easiest shelly to pair? i have some cichlid experience, but never had any shellies. plus i've never kept any fish with a PH of 8+ will the crushed coral or what ever bring it up to 8?
what do the prices of shellies run?and prices of crushed coral/ what ever i would have to use to get my PH up to 8+?

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
You don't have to have a pH of 8+. I've bred brevis, gold occelatus, multies, and similis, and I am now keeping ornatipinnis and caudopunctatus. My pH is 7.4 and they are doing just fine. Some crushed coral as substrate would be nice for buffering though. You won't need much for a 15G and it's not expensive in pet stores.

Multies and similis form colonies. Once you get a pair and they spawn, the older fry will help look after the younger siblings. The parents will tolerate multiple generations of fry in the tank, so you can keep more than just a pair, and take your time selling the fry.

The others are pair forming, and they'll try to chase off fry when they want to spawn again. You have to remove fry at that time.

None of the shellies are difficult to pair up or breed, and they are pretty much the only cichlids that would do well in a tank so small.

L. brevis

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you for your insight its actually very helpful the Multies and similis sound like what i should get, once i get the tank going thats what ill be getting. Out of the two, any personal preference? do i stock full crushed coral, or sand?
Should i buy two of them or? the parents tolerating there kids sounds awesome, didn't think itd be possible to find that in a 15 gallon tank.
Are these fish hard to find in pet stores? price?
Thanks in advance, you've been a really big help. would be a bigger help if you answered these questions i just asked :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts