Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...

I hope we've all learned that the moderater here will lock the thread without warning, so please, PM me if you are interested in the more commercial aspects of Blue Jack Dempseys and not discuss them here.

This thread will be a continuation of the thread.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... p?t=108410

That thread contains 11 pages of detailed information and photos... Enough said.

Randy

This is my #1 breeding male.

Here he is with his mate. Guarding their spawn.

Yes, they hatched.

And grew. 1"

1 1/2"

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Back to % Blues compared to Blue genes (Regular phenotype).

TheBlues are looped in blue and the BGs in black.

It appears that I DO have 50% Blues from this spawn. I started pulling the BGs out of the tank last night and counting the BGs. As promised, I am counting them and I've taken 100 BGs out so far. There appear to be as many Blues as BGs. I'll keep this updated as I continue separating them.

Randy

G

·
dude. seriously. AWEsOmE

You obviously take extremely good care of those fish- your babies grew out about as perfectly as anyone could hope- and your hatch rate was excellent.

Your adults look perfect.

I wish we could all get our fish up to that level of standard. Seriously.

A thousand hats off to you. :eek:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, Thanks...

I spent all afternoon counting baby fish...
380 Blue Dempseys
438 Blue Gene Dempseys

So, it looks like My #1 pair IS producing about 50% Blues. This is good news! cause I thought I was getting closer to 25%, which didn't make since gentetically. Maybe the slightly lower % of Blues compared to BGs, is because they aren't quite as vigorus.

Randy

·
Registered
115 Posts
Apologize if the thread got locked due my not understanding the rules right. Back on track. Awesome job. Someday when I come to SD I would love to stop by to have a look at your set Up.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Yep, it's a shame one of the best threads on any cichlid website got locked, lets hope the useful info in there doesn't get forgotten.
Great news on the % of blues Ormed, this at least gives us reason to believe we are dealing with normal recessive genetics (as far as the colour is concerned).
Another poster (can't remember the thread) was concerned with eye defects, I have had these occur in some of my blues, it would be interesting to see if any of yours show problems as they develop.
I must say your fry look exactly like the fry I had off Jeff Rapps, they grew up to look different to your breeding male, I wonder what your fry will look like full grown?

·
Registered
122 Posts
ormed said:
Wow, Thanks...

I spent all afternoon counting baby fish...
380 Blue Dempseys
438 Blue Gene Dempseys

So, it looks like My #1 pair IS producing about 50% Blues. This is good news! cause I thought I was getting closer to 25%, which didn't make since gentetically. Maybe the slightly lower % of Blues compared to BGs, is because they aren't quite as vigorus.

Randy
\

**** that's a KILLER EBJD percentage. I'm only gettting around 1/3 so far I need to post some pic's

I love your male, I keep looking for nice males around here, but, it seems like Jack's are not popular at all. I'm hoping to sell some to other stores so I don't get OVER stocked...... :eek:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks,

I really put a lot into feeding and water quality, plus I think I got pretty good breeding stock to start with. I'm glad it shows :)

Randy

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hey man,

Have you had a chance to look into head shapes with relation to sexing? 8)

Just wonderin... Keep up the good work! :thumb:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Have you had the problem with your JD's picking off the blue ones???? It seems to me that my pair will pick out the blue ones for snacks. I'm just curious to see if you have this problem, or, its just my pair?????

Jamie

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ormed,

Thanks for the fish. Pictures really do not do these fish justice. They arrived today in great condition. Two of the fish have a considerable amount of blue present. Believe these two are the dominant ones. I have had them for only three hours and they are already taking well to my 55 gallon (feeding on broken up tetra cichlid sticks). I will post pics in the coming weeks of my tank setup and their progress.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Pisces1977, that sucks! You have me overly excited... mine are due in first of next week~!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I received 5 EBJDs and some water sprites. I think that the water sprites are helping them adapt. I had red and white gravel before I decided to change to a more natural look. I did not want the all-american look. 8) the red and white was fiance's idea.

·
Registered
799 Posts
:? I also seem to have an uncontrollable urge to drool... Please keep the rest of us who are unable to partake in ormeds stock :x informed and updated! BTW, good job ormed, thanks for keeping all of us up to speed. :thumb:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes,

My pair (The female is the culprit) started eating fry... I noticed it at 3 weeks. I'm not sure if she was actually targeting the Blues, or if it was because the Blues aren't nearly as fast at that age. I'm pretty sure she was eating whatever she could catch, cause I watched her.

So, I'm pulling fry at about 7-10 days now. I'll be pulling 2 spawns, one from each pair, this weekend :D

Randy

1 - 20 of 200 Posts