Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They were not happy to see me up in their face with the camera.
The female is on the left in every picture.
The tank is a 29 gallon.
They were put in this tank 8 days ago and have had one 50% water change since.
Temp is 78*

Female:

Male:

Close up of the male sex organ. The female would not position herself to get a good shot :?

I'm going to print out picture #4 to count the eggs out of curiosity. I will post the results shortly.

Questions and comments are always welcome.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Congratulations - They are gorgeous fish!

·
Registered
281 Posts
lovely looking pair you have there. (JD`S)
keep the pics coming especialy when th wriggelers come along.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will try to post more pics. I'm leaving tomorrow for pittsburgh and will not be home till thursday afternoon. By then they should be hatched into wrigglers.

I thought about pulling the eggs but I will not be home to baby sit them. This is an established pair who has spawned many times. This is the first time they have spawned for me.

FYI, I'm up to 600 eggs thus far and my hand is soar from coloring them in on the print out! LOL

·
Registered
232 Posts
Is this a temporary thing with them being in a 29 gallon or are you going to move them out at a later date?

I was going to do the same thing and move my pair into a 25 gallon to breed them.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
That's a darn good looking pair TFG. :thumb:

Love the light on the tank next to theirs, never thought of using a maglight for an aquarium light before. :D

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, this is temporary, the pair was pulled from a 70 gallon (51"x20"x16"tall) for just this reason. If they were not an established pair I would not chance them in such a small tank. The previous owner told me they liked the exact set up they were provided with, but he had spawned them in a standard 75 I believe. They are not exactly huge either, the male is 7" on a good day, female much smaller as you can see by the pictures.

When I return home Thursday evening (hopefully to wrigglers) I might put the parents back into the 70... Then again hopefully the fry will go free swimming before I have to go back out of town on Monday. Either way, before I leave again on Monday I will pull the parents and return them to the 70 they came from...

Thanks for the kind words dwarfpike, and you know exactly why there's a flashlight in the fish room! It's for egg hunting!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Congtates TFG.My BGGG dempseys laid eggs last week and fry became free swimming the other day.This time(the have spawned 2 time previous)I am leaving fry with the parents.I have tried 2 times to remove fry but none survived.Each time there were about 200 fry,parents are only 4 inches.The parents look just like regular JDs but they carry the Blue Gene and Gold Gene.This time there are only about 100 fry,dont know why.Keep us posted when you come back from Pitt.Lets go Jets.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Found out last evening that the last time they spawned was march 17th which explains the insane amount of eggs...

Thanks for the kind words, this pair is on loan to me though and will be going back to their owner after I have viable fry....

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Wow thats a lot of eggs!

Any chance I can take some of those fry off your hands once they grow up a little? JD's have been on my wish list for a while. :)

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
TheFishGuy said:
You can have as many cast offs as you want. I'll be keeping the electric blues.
all the electric blues? :(

Will all the normal colored ones still carry the blue gene? How does the genetics work with these guys anyways?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Here are the spawn percentages.

BGJD x BGJD = 25% Electric Blue, 25% BGJD and 50% regular JDs
EBJD x BGJD = 50% Electric Blue and 50% BGJD

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
oic.

I didn't know there was a difference between "blue gene" and "electric blue".

I did hear that EBJDxEBJD can not reproduce is this correct?

And if I'm understanding correctly, you can't tell the difference in looks between "blue gene" and normal, which is why they're castoffs?

interesting...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts