Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

i know you arent generally supposed to mix haps and mbuna but i have a source who keeps them together very successfully in many tanks that he has set up,
i was keen to try it as im having very little luck with the other species in my tank. the only ones who dont seem to get diseases are the yellow labs. i know why the other species are getting ill, however i dont have the funds to remedy the outlying problems. i found a source for dolphin fry at 3 dollars a piece and was keen to grow them out a little and add them to my tank, slowly phasing out the species until its only electric yellows and dolphins. i have a 155cm long tank that holds approx 110 gallons. i know im pushing it but im honestly getting so sick of seeing another problem every time i look at my tank. theres plenty of rockwork but i had a hyper-aggressive male by chance (cynotilapia arent known for being overly angry but it just so happens that i got one with daddy issues) and now i only have 3 out of the 8 i originally had. i separated him and everything but now cause theres only 3 cynotilapia, its causing stress issues within their group and my supplier lost his import liscense so i cant up the population. just a massive cock up hence why im interested in phasing out the cynotilapia. thoughts on the dolphins and perhaps the feeding regime i would have to under take.

could i feed a herbivorous diet to the dolphins?

*** done a million miles of research and i have identified the problems i just dont have the cash to remedy it so any opinions on the dolphin-lab combo would be appreciated.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I think you would have very good luck with this combination. We feed all of our mbuna the same diet as our peacocks and haps. I would not worry to much over a specific diet plan.

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
Don't think there is anything bad about this either. The Moorii can get rather large. Both eat small low protein critters in nature. Maybe you could add some Aulonocara or a smaller Hap to add a different type of colour to the tank, as a 3rd species.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thankyou so much guys, just what i needed to hear. love it when good news comes out of a fish forum cause often its the other way around hahahaha.
i will get onto that lab - dolphin mix and maybe once *** got a stable population i can introduce a 3rd hap species. thankyou guys so much <3

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I kept yellow labs and C. moorii (blue dolphins) together for many years with not problems and lots of breeding from both. Mostly they were in a 90 gallon tank and fed New Life Spectrum. The colour mix was a nice contrast and a bonus that both sexes show colour!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts