Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just got a new blue dolphin cichlid, but was wondering about it's sex? It's around 3 inches, any information would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
937 Posts
According to the anal fin method of sexing them, it is a female. Other characteristics also coincide with female.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
They are one of the tougher fish to sex. I once bought four juveniles. Six months later the one I thought to be male started laying eggs and picking them up with no males to fertilize them. I soon found a guy selling a breeding group of four and combined them with and and problem solved (as I wanted to raise fry).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh really so you had all 4 females? For me i want more females as i bought a batch of 4 and ended up with 3 males and only 1 female. Glad you were able to get yours to breed.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Yes, I had four females initially. Buying the other group and combining, I think I ended with 6F 2M. And spawn they did! I have never had any other African mouth brooders produce larger batches than blue dolphins. On 12 occasions I got 60+ fry. The most in one spawn was 95 from one female.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh wow 95 from 1 female thats a crazy amount. I'm not sure if mine will ever want to spawn, The 3 males seem more interested in chasing each other around the tank. Might consider getting rid of a male since its better to have less males. Other than the chasing around and the occasional fight the males don't have any damage to them. I hope mine will breed but looks like the males seem to chase this smaller female and the other female in the tank away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts