Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

"Blue" is now about 2 inches long, and growing but slowly. I got him a month ago at maybe an inch and a half. Anyone think they can ID the sex on one this size?

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Sexing at this age is most likely impossible...

After sexual maturity sexing is quite difficult in Blue Dempseys and "guesses" are usually 50/50...

Males are more common than females... although in the last year I've seen more females produced than in previous years...

If interested there is a site created to serve Dempsey owners and has a lot of Blue Dempseys owners suppoirting it. Feel free to check it out www.allthingsdempsey.com

Best of luck!

·
Registered
871 Posts
I seriously considered buying a couple of these guys at a LFS for $50 each but that was just too much of an investment to make on a fish thats not hearty. Beautiful fish though.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
New camera, no flash, Canon 590 on aquarium setting. I also changed out the substrate to 3M colorquartz, grade S in black. Big change in the Blues normal colors. Blue is about 4" now.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Very nice shape and coloring which just keeps getting better as he/she grows---the new substrate really seems to help enhance these qualities too. I'm very impressed with this fish and setup! :thumb:

BV

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I tested a theory last night and I think I can say that Blue is for sure a Male now. I have a pair of normal JD's also, and thought to swap the 2 supposed females and see just how Blue would react with a 6" male JD. Well after putting them together in the 75g tank, I kept finding Blue at the top of the tank, like she wanted nothing to do with it. So I put her in with the known female JD I have and this is the result:

I pulled the female back out, and will need to find a smaller one, or wait until Blue grows some more.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Behavior is by far the best way to sex Blue Dempseys... and congratts on solving the ongoing question...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.