Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Added 4 new cichlids which I ordered online to my mixed tank but the 1" blue acei is chasing some of the fish nipping at them all the time & nipping at their eyes .
He has severely picked on my 5yr old severum to the point I think he's dying.
Any ideas what to do with him ?
I've moved him into a breeder net for now .

Tia

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
For now put him in a separate hospital tank, or at least a fish breeder net. Then find a way to rehome him, such as with a local fish store or a nearby hobbyist.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've put the severum in a separate hospital tank for now & acei in breeder net in main tank ,
Do you reckon if I keep him in the net for a while he will get any better or will remain a pita ?

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
I don't think mixing mbuna and new world cichlids is going to work, no. Even among mbuna, I have not found a time out to be effective. For me the fish returns to the same behavior when it gets back in the tank.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'll second that. Mixing Neotropicals and Africans almost never works long term, because they don't share a common language, and can't communicate with each other. In this case, the severum is trying to signal 'I give up,' but the acei doesn't understand him. Thus the relentless aggression. There is no 'cure' for this; these species are simply incompatible. And then there's the issue of water chemistry... :eek:

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
You might want to post a complete list of your stocking, as well as the dimensions of your tank, so that we can help sort this out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for your replies .

New fish brought in ich & has killed 1/2 the tank & the acei so I guess I don't have the problem now .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.