Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ,
I have a 30 gal long tank with 3 blue acara's, 1 yoyo loach, and 1 3" pleco. Is this too much fish for a 30 gal? Also, do the blue acara's need to be male to female ratio, or is a pair ok? (one of each)
Thanks

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
What are the dimensions of your tank? and what are the current sizes of your acaras?

Blue acaras are a pair forming species. If your fish are still juveniles, it's better to start with a group of six juveniles in a tank and waite for a genuine pair to form. Once a pair forms and spawns for the first time, sell off the rest or trade them back to your LFS for store credit.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The acara's are 2-3 inches, and the tank is a typical rectangle 30 gal. I guess 3 feet, by 1 feet, and 2 feet tall. Will there be agression is I don't have a genuine pari?

·
Registered
51 Posts
DeadFishFloating said:
Once a pair forms and spawns for the first time, sell off the rest or trade them back to your LFS for store credit.
+1

a 30 gallon will cause problems for your third wheel blue acara, they are not known to be as aggressive as their cousin green terror but I have always found that in a trio, the fish that is unpaired gets treated pretty bad by the paired. give it time. the 30 should be good for the rest... what kind of a pleco do you have in there? common?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts