Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I recently setup a 75G cichlid tank, now established, with 2 blue acaras, 1 firemouth, and 1 gold severum, 5 tiger barbs, the cichlids all right around 3 inches or so. I know for a fact they've started breeding, their following eachother, their colors are showing when getting close, one is vibrating next to the other one, etc.

Now I'm not a noob to fish keeping but to breeding I am. I can't seem to find the info I'm looking for through searching. Do you have any links to good articles on what to do when your cichlid breed?

Should I get a divider so the other cichlids won't eat any eggs? How long does the breeding process take, like how soon should I see fry at this point? I'm considering getting a grow out tank for them. Not sure what to do other then that. Any advice would be great!

Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10, ph 7.3, temp 78

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
161 Posts
Congrats on the upcoming baby acaras. You have a couple options IMO. You can do nothing and let nature take it's course. Blue Acara's are good parents...but in the tank with the type of fish you have the fry will get picked off until they are all gone. You can remove the acaras and give them their own tank. Once the hormones are raging there is little that is going to slow them down. If you leavr them in the community tank you can siphon off the babies after they are free swimming and put them in a small tank and raise them that way. You may lose most of them, but you will at least have some babies if you do big water changes daily, feed them alot but not over feed and keep the tank warm and clean. Best of luck to you whichever you choose. I always like to leave the fry with the parents for as long as possible myself.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts