Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a pair of Blue Acara for my 48" tank roughly 6 months ago at the time they were approx 2" each they have grown into two beautiful fish roughly around the 4"/5" mark now.

They are without doubt male and female and hang out together all over the tank. During the first few months the male bullied the female but now they never squabble and I'm sure they are getting ready to spawn constantly flicking fins and shaking at each other as well as the male following the female all over the place! Originally I had them housed with a green sev who was the ruler and it crossed my mind that this was stopping the pair from spawning.

I moved the Sev out so the tank now houses the Acara, some cories and a shoal of Tiger barbs and this has been the setup for the last two weeks, however despite the obvious love between these two fish they just won't spawn.

They have been fed live daphnia, River shrimp, bloodworm, frozen bloodworm, temp raised to 79C it seems like just a matter of time but no action! any suggestions?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone care to share their experience of breeding Blue Acara's? where they spawned, temp etc.

The info on the net is temp between 79 - 82C but I couldn't find anything in particular on preferred spawning sites.............

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought 6 juv acara, managed to get a pair to form and breed.

My water in the tank was sitting at 25 degrees celcius.

I fed flakes and once or twice a week bloodworm, nothing fancy.

Only took a couple of months to get a breeding pair.

I gave them away and bought severums to get a pair, but *** still got a tank with the fry, Im growing on.

Maybe you just have to be patient and you'll eventually have success.
The only thing I would say is its better to get a group of Acara and let them decide who they want to pair up with, this will make a stronger bond/pair for breeding.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the reply Saorsa

I agree normally 6 Juv's is the way to get a strong pair however these two are tight if you know what I mean lol! :p

Patience is the key, I've kept and bred a few different types of cichlid and feel I know the signs now only these two have disappointed so far given the signs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts