Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fairly new at keeping African Chiclids. I have been doing a good job of changing the water 20% daily after I had a mishap with a wee bit of Dawn in the water. Thankfully I saved all the remainder of my fish once I saw them dying and figured out what happened. I fiercely cleaned the tank daily and also cleaned out the Fluval FX4 filters for my 75 gallon tank using aquarium water. One of my fish has a area behind his head before the fin where it looks like someone bit him. I was advised to use Melafix for a week removing the carbon and then do a 50% water change. I used all the guidelines for changing water and the parameters have always been good. However after this 50% change and adding in the proper additives including bacteria, the tank is in full bloom. Did I do something wrong? Will this hurt my fish? Or will it gradually clear with no harm to the fish? And can I continue with the 20% water changes every other day or so? Thanks for any feedback!

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
It will eventually clear and it won't hurt your fish.

Lets start with the basics. What are your test results for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

How did you cycle your tank?

What color is the bloom...gray/white or green?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DJRansome said:
It will eventually clear and it won't hurt your first.

Lets start with the basics. What are your test results for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

How did you cycle your tank?

What color is the bloom...gray/white or green?
I am going to retest things to give you the numbers today. Until I finish that ..here are the numbers that the tank has been running until today (I did not test yesterday)m
ph 8.2 (today my meter says 8.1)
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
I am also including the pic of my tank that I just took. I will get back with you shortly.

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as cycling my tank...I added conditioner and bacteria in the amounts suggested. I also added a alkaline buffer in the amount suggested.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since I am also having trouble with one of the bullies in the tank, I am going to do a water change now. If you see this message you can advise me on the percentage of water change. I will be re-arranging the tank to reset their brains. Let me know what else I need to do if you think of anything. Thanks for your reply moderator.

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
50% weekly is a good starting place.

What is the pH of your tap water?

I don't see any bloom...maybe a little gray/white cloudy? That is too much bacteria. I would follow the instructions on the bottled bacteria...I cycle with ammonia so IDK how to advise you. You might also contact the manufacturer.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My Nitrate is still very high today at 40. I doubt I will ever do a 50% water change again. That is where all my problems started.

·
Super Moderator
1,840 Posts
Have you tested your tap water for nitrate also?

Which brand and type test kit are you using?

The nitrate level should NOT go up after a water change so just a guess that you tested incorrectly.

How long has this tank been set up?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts