Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard difffering opinions as whether blood worms are a good food source for africans. I have had good luck with them so far, but have heard they cause bloating? Your take?

I feed a mixture of blood worms, Krill, and growth flakes... supplimented with color enhancing cichlid pellets. My fish are between 1.5 to 3 inches.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
It completely depends on the species of fish you have. For fish that would normally eat insect larva and other meaty foods will do fine with a bit of blood worms in their diet. Fish that are strict herbivores, it has a much great chance of causing major problems. If you have a mix of species in your tank, it is almost impossible to ensure that the blood worms only go to the carnivorous fish.

With all the realy good quality complete and balanced pellet foods (NLS, Hikari, Dainichi,etc), I don't see why people still insist on feeding live foods. Unless the fish are wild caught, it is a very high probability that they have never seen live food so its not like they would miss it. Plus any live (and even frozen) foods have a much great chance of carrying a disease or other pathogen into your tank.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
As Malawilover said there really isn't any point feeding bloodworm considering the quality of the pellets and flakes that are available to us.

The problem with bloodworm is the fat content and risk parasites and disease that bloodworms may bring with them. It is impossible to rule out considering they were once living creatures feeding on anything, now dead and decaying, the risk is quite high.

I wouldn't even consider bloodworms for the most carnivorous fish, let alone feeding to mbuna.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts