Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can you feed blood worm to Multies, Comp, and Transcriptus was just wondering as i have some for my corys and other fish and thought i would treat my tangs.
Also can you keep bristle nose plec or algae sucker in with these? as i have got some algae growning over the slate.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
If you want to add all sorts of new pathogens to your tank and feed one animal to another then I see no problem with live blood worms as food. :)
Seriously why feed live food to fish that are voratious eaters of prepared foods that are far better for them?
Bristle noses are great for removing algae in Tang tanks.
They can be a bit stroppy to each other (male to male mainly) and get a few cichlid eggs though. :(
Most plecs grow far to big and its pretty hard to id those that stay small as most are not Sp labelled or miss sold species wise.

If you have corys with Tangs how can you keep your water right for both?
One is soft low pH water loving, Tangs hard high pH loving.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, my corys are in my communty tank which was my first tank i set up for my son they seem to be ok most of the water in my area is hard and has a ph reading of 8

Do not want to add anything to the tang tank if it is going to up set them though. As they are taking the flake well and the comp takes bit pellet a bit of flake if he can get there before mrs shellie :)

So if i could find a BN that would not grow to big would in not get bullied by the fish i have? would like to keep it as all tangs though

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
There are BNs that stay pretty small the prob is getting some that are properly IDed to be small ones reliably. I would try the UK Catfish club http://www.catfishstudygroup.org/core/menu.htm

Use http://www.planetcatfish.com/core/index.php to find catfish experts and learn what to look for
to get these, with a reasonable hope of getting some that will stay small. All the ones I have from LFSs (Or the BCA to be honest) have proved to be hybrids or the larger of the Ansistrus types irrespective of the label :-?

·
Registered
451 Posts
I think you are referring to mosquitoes larvae and not like fishing blood worms, is that correct?

I've fed freeze dried blood worms to all my tangs and they will devour it.

And I have fed earthworms from my garden to my fish and they absolutely freak out!

I think fish appreciate the occasional live treat, but to each his own.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Sadly there is no true Tang algae eater I know of that stays small. BNs are prob your best bet. They put up with pHs up to 8.6 OK (Some of the catfish guys think its pushing them a bit but you just want a job done not a breeding pair?) so as long as you do not go too far making proper Tang conditions pH 9 they should do fine. They put up with a lot of aggression to seeming to hardly notice it in there search for fresh eggs to eat. :wink: if you want to breed cichlids then no cat fish is both egg and fry safe (even corys)

S brichardi is another cat that eats algae (reasonably fry safe for a catfish) and will do OK in most Tang tanks. (Can be bullied by other Synos and some Tang cichlids though.)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
24Tropheus, thanks for those links and the advice would like to see the shellies raise a few fry if they will. Iam going to have a good look at the links and search S brichardi perhaps i will just need to put up with the algae on the slates. your a mind of information thanks :thumb:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thetim6 said:
I think you are referring to mosquitoes larvae and not like fishing blood worms, is that correct?

I've fed freeze dried blood worms to all my tangs and they will devour it.

And I have fed earthworms from my garden to my fish and they absolutely freak out!

I think fish appreciate the occasional live treat, but to each his own.
Yes i was referring to red mosquitoe larvae i have it in fronze little blocks.
The humble earth is ok to feed then as we have lots in the garden

·
Registered
130 Posts
i feed mine frozen blood worms about 1-2 times/week and they are doin well. for my tank i'm opting out of algea eaters.IMO they just don't go with the tank. i'm trying to make up my mind if i want snails: they may end up as food, or overpopulating. a subtle mixture of both would be great (food and cleaning). 24tropheus must be a vegan :). careful feeding wild earthworms you have to de-poop em befor you toss them in the tank.

·
Registered
451 Posts
All I do is wash the earthworms off. Have you read it is harmful, getwithit?

My bigger fish (convicts, red devil, etc) eat the huge, fat worms gluttonously! However, my tangs prefer the smaller, skinnier baby worms.

I have read that mosquitoes larvae is very high in protein, and maybe too high to feed with it everyday. However, I don't think this is a major concern with carnivorous fish.

·
Registered
130 Posts
haven't been on in a while....anyway yeah the poo in the earthworms may have parasites and bacteria in it. i know when they do worm eating things on like fear factor they de-poop em. kinda like a toothpaste tube. i was also given this advice by a pet store owner, so i've just always played it safe from that point.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts