convicts
jack dempseys
wolf cichlid
royal knifefish
clown knifefish
needle nose gar
tinfoil barbs
oscars

Which on would suit me i have a 180 gallon tank with 2 fluval 405 canister filters and 2 110 aquaclear power filters

thanks

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
pike cichlid - depends on species
jewel cichlid - i wouldnt, but it could work just fine, i wouldnt because it is african,
midas - *** seen flowerhorns live great with parrots, as parrots dont give in to stress to easily, so this may be ok.
convicts - will be fine
JD - should be ok
wolf cichlid - no
royal knife - no
clown knife - no
needlenose Gar - i wouldnt, but only because when there are chased the freak out and whack there nose on the glass, and the possibility of breaking there nose is high.
tinfoil barbs - should be fine
oscars - again, should work out great with Blood parrots.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so a midis cihlid would be great with parrots the madis cichilid id about 3-5 inches long and my parrots are 2-3 inches will a madis and 3 parrots live together in a 55 gallon

also will a any of the others that are ok live with them in a 55 gallon

·
Registered
586 Posts
a 55g is way too small for a midas and 3 bp's.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
which one would be good then in a 55 gallon mabye the pike cichlid or if i raise a red devil from a baby with them will it work

·
Registered
586 Posts
a red devil would be too big for a 55g, and it depends on what species of pike cichlid you want to get. A belly crawler could work, or even a dwarf green. I would look in the profiles section of this site and try to find one that doesn't get too big.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i had to move my 3 bp becouse i got a great deal on a pair of jaguars only 50 bucks for a bredding pair so now i need to move them into my 55 gallon so what will work with my bps

thanks lg

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
oooook, so out of what you listed id say the following would work

Smaller Growing pike cichlids (Max 6")
jewel cichlid
convicts.

·
Registered
869 Posts
So now you are asking: What would work with 3 parrots in a 55g, right?

I would vote for the jewel or the convict. Mostly because you just don't have much room left. You might just be best leaving the 3 in the 55 by themselves.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Once the BP's hit 6" they're gonna need the 55 pretty much to themselves. You should be able to keep a few cons or jewels with them until then.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Most of the commonly available pikes reach anywhere from 12"-18" and would make mincemeat of those fake cichlids ya got! :D

If you want to try a smaller pike, I'd search out Crenicichla sp "Belly Crawler" which is a very common pike, mellower, stays in the 6"-8" range, and since stays on the bottom won't come into as much conflict with them.

Most pikes will outgrow a 55 fairly quickly. The other smaller one to look for would be Cr. proteus, but while they stay 6"-8" as well, the will probably bully the fake parrots.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Nighthawk said:
Once the BP's hit 6" they're gonna need the 55 pretty much to themselves. You should be able to keep a few cons or jewels with them until then.
honestly i disagree, i would say some convicts or jewels will be fine with 3 parrots in a 55 permanently, not to say it is ideal, but i would say it is not over stocking either.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I wouldn't add anything besides maybe a school of big tetras to a 55 gallon with three BPs. They do get good sized and if they end up pairing off they can be very territorial.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
will a flower horn work and here is what the pike cichlid looked like

the first pic

thank how many jewels /cons can i have plz give me numbers of both

·
Registered
118 Posts
gage said:
Nighthawk said:
honestly i disagree, i would say some convicts or jewels will be fine with 3 parrots in a 55 permanently, not to say it is ideal, but i would say it is not over stocking either.
I respectfully disagree with your disagreement. :lol: I think there is going to be some violence in that tank. Lots of stress and injuries. I like westwood's suggestion. Some big tetras like the emperors and maybe a school of small cories.

·
Registered
118 Posts
No one's saying you can't have them. I'm going by my personal experience with these fish. That doesn't mean that you'll have the same experience. You may get lucky and everything will be ok. But, I'm betting the opposite will happen if you continue with your original plan.

Keep an eye on craigslist and find yourself a used 125 gallon tank. You and your fishy's will be alot happier. :D

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Nighthawk said:
gage said:
Nighthawk said:
I respectfully disagree with your disagreement. :lol: I think there is going to be some violence in that tank. Lots of stress and injuries. I like westwood's suggestion. Some big tetras like the emperors and maybe a school of small cories.
:lol: maybe i should be a little more specific, it all depends on the fact of if your parrots will tolerate other fish, *** had very peaceful parrots, and *** had crazy parrots, it really does depend all on your parrots. but i dunno if i would go cories with a full grown parrot, as cories do stay rather small and my parents had to remove theres away from there parrots for that reason. id say as far as catfish try pictus or something of that sort over the cories, or give the cories a lot of hiding places. as far as large tetras, *** always really loved Bleeding heart tetras, they grow large and are quick, serpaes are pretty nice, if you like the dark look black skirts are good to. im not really disagreeing with your statement about the parrots needing the tank to them self, i stated that wrong, im more or less saying that they may or may not depending on your parrot.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts