Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My BP is in a 100G tank with 2 other BP's and some silver dollars. The male BP is now sitting on the bottom of the tank and seems to be breathing fast. His tummy looks a litte sunken as well. He also seems to have trouble swimming to the top of the tank.

Ammonia and Nitrites are 0. Nitrates are 40, but doing WC right after posting this message. Temp is 78, and ph is 7.8.

Part of me thinks internal parasite, but the other thinks there may be something bacterial internally. Dont' know what to treat, so hoping someone here can give me suggestions. I'm going to move him into a 20L hospital tank so I can begin treating for something - just don't know what is most likely, or if I should treat for both?

Any help appreciated...

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
From your description it sounds a little like a swim bladder problem--although the sunken belly doesn't exactly fit. He may be having trouble swimming to the top just because he's weak. Is the fish still eating? How long has be been like this?
Move him to the 20L tank and add Epsom salt at the rate of 1 tablespoon per five gallons. Dissolve it first and add it gradually over 6-8 hours time.
I'm really not sure what's going on here. More information from you should help. Usually it takes some time for a fish to get a sunken belly. Is there much aggression between the fish?

I would have some Maracyn and Maracyn-two on hand, or Kanamycin.

Robin

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Robin. I'm stumped too.

I've had this fish for 2-3 years, and he was full-grown when I got him. He's in a peaceful tank - no aggressive tankmates. I noticed this about 3 days ago. I moved him into the 20L last night.

I don't want to mislead about his "sunken belly", as it's not like the photos I see of African cichlids with really sunken bellies. He just looks thin, I guess. Well, not extra-beefy like his female tankmates.

He is still eating, thank goodness. Just seems to have difficulty swimming to the top, but he will when food is there. The best way I know to describe his behavior is that he seems "bottom heavy".

I'll try the epsom salts and see what happens. I think I may start some Kanamycin as well. I also have thera-A NLS that I can try to feed, if you think it will help.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Bottom heavy makes it sound more like a swim bladder problem. I would go ahead and threat with the Kanamycin and Epsom salt but I would go really light on the feeding. The thera NLS is fine but just go on the light side until he starts to show improvement.

Robin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts