Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I am here because my beloved Blood Parrot fish is not doing so well. Some background information on him before I describe his illness.
-I have had him for 7 years
-He lives in a 55 gallon tank
-He has had many different tank mates through the years, currently for the last 6 months he has been alone.
-He has always been healthy and never had any medical issues.
-I made the mistake of putting much smaller Convicts (x2) in the tank with him and they really stressed him out. Chased him around and made him jump out of the tank. I found him on the ground almost dry. He recovered and seemed to be back to normal. I removed the Convicts from the tank. I also made the rookie mistake of not having any type of lid on the tank :( It was just something i thought i never had to really worry about with him.

For the past month his swimming seemed to be off. Had trouble catching the sinking pellets i fed him. When he would make turns in the tank he would go sideways and almost upside down sometimes. There isn't much current in the tank other then the pump return discharge, and at his size its never effected his swimming. Thought it was due to swim bladder, tried the frozen pea, that didn't work, tried not feeding him for 3 days, that didn't work. Its gotten much worse this past week. It is almost like he is paralyzed now. He just lays at the bottom of the tank on his side not moving. He tries to but he cant. I drop a few pellets into the tank near his location and he can manage to flop over to them and tries to eat the food. Sometimes he spits it out, other times he swallows it. Before he became almost completely paralyzed he made 2 big holes in the gravel to where you could see the bottom of the tank glass. Those 2 holes he made are where he lays on his side. I'm not sure if that's relevant to anything but figured worth mentioning.

Its very heart breaking as me and my wife have grown very attached to this little guy. He always had great personality. Would follow you around from the tank, always paid attention to what we were doing. I don't however want him to suffer and i feel like he may be. He still tries to eat which i feel like is maybe a good sign, but other then that he lays at the bottom of the tank, completely immobilized. I just need some advice.. Does anyone think he will get better, is he suffering? Do i need to just go ahead and do the inevitable, and if so how? Thanks

Jason

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
What are your test results for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

·
Premium Member
4,677 Posts
Hello fellow Va. Beacher!
I'm sorry to hear your Blood Parrot (BP) isn't doing so good. :(
And, PLUS ONE to 'DJRansome' on his questions.
-
Plus, what sort of filtration do you have on this aquarium? And, how often have you done water changes in cleaning his aquarium? If it's been awhile.... it's possible that Nitrates have built up in there and water toxicity is adding to his problems. You may want do perform a 50 percent water change, and see if that will help perk this BP up a bit.
Otherwise, well..... send us a reply to those questions, and we'll see if we can work through this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Water check comes back perfect on everything. PH around 6.8-7.0 so could maybe be a bit higher but other then that all good. Water temp at 82.

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
Do you have the actual results for each? Are you using test tubes and reagents? What is your filter type, brand and GPH?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ammonia- 0
nitrite-0
nitrate-10-20 ppm
Ph- 6.8-7.0
Water temp- 82
Tested with test tubes and drops

·
Premium Member
4,677 Posts
Okay then..... your water parameters are actually a little low in PH for 'typical' Va. Beach water. When was the last time you did a cleaning/water change on his aquarium?
-
So first off, pull the carbon out of the filtration. The stuff causes far more problems than it is worth. If you have unused carbon save it for specialized use in removing medications or something from the water. Then, I would do that 50 percent water change today.
And then conduct another 50 percent water change the following day.
See if that helps to perk him up a bit.
-
And honestly, from your description it just sounds like your BP has become well, geriatric. These are hybrid fish, and the genetic processes used to create them may not always lead to a very long life for them, unfortunately. It seems likely to me that your BP may have just about reached the end of his life. :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did a pretty big water change about a week ago. Took the carbon out last night. Ya, I've had him for over 7 years and would assume he was 1 or so when I got him. I figured it could of been an injury from jumping out of the tank that ended up getting worse? But maybe it is just old age, just seemed to come on pretty sudden

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
Maybe old age AND jumping out of the tank. Sorry this is happening.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you think he is suffering? In a "open water" scenario he would of been eaten almost as soon as this happened. I can't imagine he enjoys laying sideways 24/7 at the bottom of the tank....

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
I can never decide. I have had one fish recover from such a condition, but many went on to die. I usually think about it once/day and decide if he is still trying, I will not end it for him.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts