Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings ... I'm new to the site and this is my first post. It's nice to have a resource like this.

The blood parrot has some back splotches/spots (see pic). It's in a 56 gallon with 8 other south american cichlids. There is one other blood parrot that is slightly bigger than this one. All of the fish are around 3 inches as I've only had them for several weeks.
Here are the levels from the API test kit:
ph - 7.5
ammonia - 0.25
nitrite - 0
nitrate - 0

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,860 Posts
Welcome to C-F!!!

Did the BP have those splotches when you got him?

What are the dimensions of your 56G tank?

Based on your tank test results, it seems like your tank is NOT cycled yet since you have a zero nitrate reading. How did you cycle this tank before adding any fish?

Also since you are using the API test kit, did you vigorously shake the #2 reagent bottle before you dispensed the drops into the test tube? If you didn't this could be why you are getting a zero reading.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the greeting and response!

Ooops .... I mis-typed. My nitrates are at 5.0 ppm. The dimensions of the tank are 18" x 30" x 23"H. No .. the BP didn't have those sploches when I got him.
The tank ran for a good 6 months without any fish after my Oscar died. I had no ammonia when I started adding fish and I started with 3, then a few weeks later another 3 ... and so on .. to 9. I have a ehiem cannister filter .. a 2213 I think. I've been changing my water every other day around 25% in an effort to reduce the ammonia. Today I am going to clean the cannister filter. I also added prime to the mix yesterday in an effort to reduce the ammonia as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts