Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is going on with my blood parrot?? Had her/him about 6 months now. Water specs are all normal, never been a problem. He's in with an Oscar and a Jack Dempsey. He's the (harmless) bully of the tank, and I've never seen the other fish fight back. The female Jack Dempsey runs away, and the Oscar just sits there and lets the BP bump into him.

Anyway, something is apparently forming on his head, and just recently started getting black patches (black spot disease?). The black spots will go away after a week from what I'm reading, but I don't know what's going on with his head. At first I thought he might have bumped into the filter outlet, but it appears to be spreading.
Is this HITH?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,853 Posts
What are your actual test results?

Frequency and amount of water changes?

Hard to tell from the pics but are those actually holes or pits above his mouth area?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
7.0 pH
>20 ppm Nitrate
0 nitrite
80 Kh
30 Gh

It's been right around those parameters for over a year.
I don't have an ammonia test, but I can't imagine it's an issue. I do 50% water changes biweekly. I also have a UV sterilizer running constantly.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It just looks like roughed up skin to me, like if you were to run a cheese grater on your skin. But couple that up with the black spot disease, I'm not sure what's going on with this fish. Should I quarantine it??

·
Super Moderator
1,853 Posts
Try increasing the water change amount and frequency to help the injury clear up faster.

Is it possible there is some decor in the tank that may have injured his face or maybe he got caught in an ornament or some of the PVC caves have sharp edges on them?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts