Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's a bad idea but I would like to see if anyone has done this before? I follow a YouTuber who has peacocks and one parrot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Don't Do It.
Many reasons for this. Some of my own, as follows:
- Blood Parrots (BP) get BIG. Much bigger than the Africans you have now.
- They are prone to some skin and scale problems that are best resolved with higher tank temps. I'm talking 79 degrees minimum - maintaining a BP tank at a constant 82-83 degrees is not uncommon. Those temps will drive the oxygenation out of the aquarium water for your African Mbuna - they will be stressed!
- These things are BUDFIES. Pushy and aggressive, these hybrids almost always tend to punch much higher than their actual weight class will permit! They seemingly love to instigate all sorts of drama - then get absolutely THRASHED by the Trimac, Jack Dempsey or even the little Convict Cichlid stuck in the tank with them. Too often this happens, when the 'real' tough guys have had quite enough of the obnoxious BP behavior.
- BPs need a hugely varied diet to stay healthy and look their best. I'm talking offerings of weekly 'treat foods' such as chopped up Menhaden, peeled shrimp bits, big ol' earth worms. Meaty stuff that will potentially WRECK the planty-based digestive systems of your African Mbuna!
- Hybrids. Hybrids. Hybrids. Oh yeah.... did I say it enough? No?
*clears throat*

HYBRIDS!!!!

I've never kept one. But unfortunately, I know waaaayyyy too much about these ridiculous fish because of how many get sold out by the LFS - with all of the ensuing problems that inevitably develop. If you just HAVE to have one? Plunk it in another tank (preferably it's OWN aquarium), and enjoy the Blood Parrot show - safely away from your Mbuna.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Auballagh said:
...Hybrids. Hybrids. Hybrids. Oh yeah.... did I say it enough? No?

HYBRIDS!!!!

I've never kept one. But unfortunately, I know waaaayyyy too much about these ridiculous fish because of how many get sold out by the LFS - with all of the ensuing problems that inevitably develop...
Amen to that. I simply don't understand the fascination with these man-made monstrosities when beautiful, natural species are available (at least for now). Dry up the demand and the supply will (hopefully) disappear. :?

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
I would think they would kinda ignore each other, the Mbuna might stress out the Parrot some when young but if it survives okay might grow too big as said. The Parrot might be territorial but they always seem dopey to me.

You could try it, it's your money, single odd fish with all Mbuna rarely do that well, unless you are talking about the most boring mellow Mbuna. Mbuna make a crowded stressful tank. You don't need to overload the crowded tank's biofilter with a large additional fish.

I do not find Blood Parrots to be interesting fish to keep, they seem like handicapped monstrosities. Try a "Dragon Blood" male, similar color traits, fit in better for an oddity.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Agree, handicapped monstrosity and if we don't stop creating demand, humans will continue to maim this fish for profit.

·
Registered
538 Posts
sir_keith said:
Auballagh said:
...Hybrids. Hybrids. Hybrids. Oh yeah.... did I say it enough? No?

HYBRIDS!!!!

I've never kept one. But unfortunately, I know waaaayyyy too much about these ridiculous fish because of how many get sold out by the LFS - with all of the ensuing problems that inevitably develop...
Amen to that. I simply don't understand the fascination with these man-made monstrosities when beautiful, natural species are available (at least for now). Dry up the demand and the supply will (hopefully) disappear. :?
+1. Freaking blood parrots, such an abomination. I can't wrap my head around how anyone likes those things. I feel bad for the buggers - deliberately being bred to be mutated AF and barely even capable of basic functions half the time. Stay far away at the best of times, IMO, but as to the original question - ABSOLUTELY NOT to keeping a blood parrot with Africans.

PS - one idiot YouTuber does not equate to it being a good, plausible, or even realistic idea.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you guys! Pretty much what i was expecting. I wasn't going to do it tbh but then I saw one for rescue/rehome and got curious.

Honestly had enough probs with OB peacock hybrids lol.

Poor creatures though, i tried researching and it seems no one even truly knows their ancestry anymore. I agree they need to stop being bred, as they just shouldn't exist in the first place :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
505 Posts
The blood parrot is a particularly woeful example of what can happen when two different species- or in this case, genera- are hybridized. Even the casual observer cannot fail to note that these fishes are severely deformed. Is it difficult to imagine that these deformities cause physical pain? I'd like to suggest further that most hybrids, even those without blatant deformities, are likely to share the same sad fate.

Have you ever experienced or known anyone with a slipped spinal disc? It can be excruciatingly painful. Unless every component of the spine is properly aligned, chronic pain is likely to result. So what happens when you cross two species whose spinal structures differ? Some of the vertebrae are likely to be misaligned. So how bad could it be? Well, even if we confine ourselves to the Mbuna, these fishes can have anywhere from 28 to 33 vertebrae [Oliver, M. K. and Arnegard, M. E. (2010) Ichthyol. Explor. Freshwaters 21(3) 209-232.]. Furthermore, within a genus, vertebrae counts vary, so hybridization between even closely related species is problematic. There are many other arguments that could be made against interspecific hybridization of animals under our care; this is just one example.

Note: the referenced publication is available here- https://www.researchgate.net/figure...-showing-number-of-individuals_tbl2_228655057

1 - 8 of 8 Posts