Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I need some urgent help here. Although, I understand that it is a cichlid forum, but I need help with my Tinfoil barbs.

I have a 48 inches x 18inches x 18inches aquarium and I fill it up with roughly 150Litres of water. I have 3 tinfoil barbs (red eye), which are about 2.5 inches long. Although, I use borewell water, but I use DoAqua (beFine) to remove chlorine/chloramine. Last week, I ran out of it and in a hurry I did a 20% water change without it.

Now, I see one of my barbs with slightly swollen tummy. He/She is eating as usual, swimmiing as usual, and is not away from the other two. I have stopped feeding them for last 1-2 days, but I am not sure if this dropsy/bloat. Yesterday, I also notices some slight discoloration on her left side. I don't think the scales are ponting out, but it looks a little off color than the rest. I have added about 60g of epsom salt, and I feel (I may be wrong) that the swelling is almost the same. I did a mjor ~60% water change yesterday.

Can any of you please help me out here? Also, I would request if you could give me some common medicines, because most of the stuff like clout etc is not available in India. I have gotten Metroindazole, Resteclin and Eryocin from the local chemist.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Shami.

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
If they are swollen but eating, it is not bloat. Epsom salts is a good idea. Metronidazole is an excellent bloat treatment, but they are eating so it is not bloat.

I am not familiar with these fish or other reasons why they might swell up. :(

Dropsy is a water quality disease, so make sure your ammonia and nitrite=0 and your nitrates are under 20ppm. What are your readings?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a bunch for your reply! You may find this crazy, but I do not have a water testing kit. I tried multiple fish stores, but none of them seem to carry it. I do about 25% water change every week to ensure the water quality is good.

By the way, even I do not think it is bloat, and which is why I did not start the bloat treatment with Metronidazole.

I noticed something unusual (may be I have never noticed it before) - all three of them have a stringy brown poop hanging out of their anus. Could this be an internal parasite? Do you know how to treat for internal parasite? And would the treatment cause problem(s) to fishes if they do not have the parasite?

I am planning for another 50% water change tomorrow. I think the swelling is constant. At least it is not getting worse. But I feel I would be able to tell it better tomorrow morning.

Thanks,
Shami.[/img]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts