Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i think my female convict has bloat, she is a lot larger around the abdomen. She just laid eyes and is now looking after the fry. Does anyone know the best treatment?

It's a new tank setup, and I also are starting to get brown algae, so I am doing 1/4 water changes 2 twice a week while the plants take hold. Not sure but I thick the bloating started around the same time as the twice weekly water changes.

Attachments

·
Registered
449 Posts
Is she eating? Bloated fish don't eat. Are her feces white and stringy or normal looking? Water changes would not cause bloat, but, I would do 50% weekly instead of 25% twice a week. How long has the tank been running? Brown algae usually grows in newly established tanks and will go away with time. How did you cycle the tank, or, did you cycle the tank?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
If the fish is bloated, soak pellets in a tank water/Epsom salt solution, then dump the whole mix into the tank. The salt will clean out the fish and won't have any negative effects.

·
Registered
449 Posts
If it is bloat, and the fish won't eat, put a gallon of tank water into a bucket, mix in 1 tablespoon Epsom salt and put the fish in the bucket for 15 to 30 minutes and then return it to the tank. The fish should get the laxative effects through the salt bath.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks fo the reply's. She is eating. And seam happy enough. The tanks was circled. It been going for about 2 months. It had other fish in it, but I took then out as the two convicts paired up and got aggressive. I will try the Epsom salt bath.

·
Super Moderator
40,497 Posts
If she is eating it's not bloat. Look for other illnesses before you go to the Epsom salt.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I wouldnt do an EP salt bath, as it may stress the fish. However, as suggested, some salt saturated food will do no harm and will actually help if the fish has a parasite issue. In 1/2 cup of distilled water, dissolve 3/4 tsp of epsom salt. Saturate a regular meal in this solution and feed exclusively for 5 consecutive days. I do this twice a year for all my cichlids( several tanks full of CA/SA) as a preventitive measure. Been doing this for many years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts