Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier today I noticed one of my fish has a bloated abdomen (picture included). I have not noticed any behavior change (eating habits, activity etc) and he/she (I don't know the gender) has no problem moving around. Is this a case of bloating? If so, I have the treatment link saved and am ready to start, I just want to be sure that this is bloating.

Thanks,
Jimmy

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
If the fish is still eating he does not have bloat...yet. :)

Stop feeding for two days and add epsom salts which is a mild laxative. See if he's better after two days.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Yes your fish is bloated, but does it have "bloat" is harder to say. I would guess no- simply from what else you are saying.

Please tell us more about the tank- what size, how many fish, how often you change water and how much, what you are feeding, and your water quality- pH, nitrate, ammonia and nitrite. If you don't have a test kit, consider getting one, but your local fish store will test your water for you.

In the mean time- stop feeding. Don't put any more food in the tank for at least 4 days. Do a 50% water change, using a good dechlorinator, and add 1 tablespoon of Epsom salt per every 5 gallons of water in the tank. Predissolve the measure salt in warm water before pouring it in.

Epsom works as a laxative (for fish and people)- you can buy it at most pharmacies or Walmart. What I'm seeing from your picture is perhaps a bowel obstruction. Watch your fish, check on him often to see if he poops at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts