Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Haplochromis sp.44 "Thick Skin" seems interested in eating, but she keeps spitting the pellets out... usually she takes them as soon as they fall in the water, now she only eats when it is softer. Despite the decreased amount of food she is now consuming, she is still reasonably plump. I checked her poop, dunno if it is considered "white and stringy"-still solid, but it is light brown with a whitish tinge to it. Could this pale poop be from the eggs she may have snatched from my female fryeri while they were spawning? :-? I'll keep an eye on it for the next couple days... If it is bloat, what would the next symptoms look like? Sorry if I'm not providing enough info, just looking for a quick answer to see what I need to do next :thumb:

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I suggest not feeding for 3 days- throw in an large water change (50%), and add 1 tablespoon dissolved Epsom salt (not regular salt) for every 5 gallons of water.

Epsom works as a laxative, and combined with fasting will clean out the fish gut. We tend to overfeed our fish, and many GI tract issues (picky eating, funny poo) can be solved without medication.

On day 4- do another 50% WC, and feed lightly. I bet your Hap will be hungry by then. :thumb:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts