Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*** looked all over the site and im still confused...

one place says bloat is white stringy poop, loss of appetite and hiding under rocks or at the surface

then one place says bloat isnt necessarily that white stringy poop, loss of appetite and hiding under rocks or at the surface

those are my fishes symptoms and there are 3-4 fish that have the white stringy poop right now. most of the fish in the tank have great appetites but the 3-4 that *** noticed white stringy poop from do not eat like they did before and one has been at the surface for a couple weeks but still trys to eat

could i treat the tank with clout like this says? http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=24132 or would doing this hurt the fish if they were not sick with bloat?

im still really confused on identifying bloat or another cause of this ...

tank is cycled, been set up for months with no problems and i have tested the water (tho i did not test it today)

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Hi

Here are the symptoms of bloat.
Starts with a fish spitting out food. You may or may not see clear/white stringy feces. Over the next few days the fish will stop eating and may become lethargic. It may gasp at the surface or hide. Towards the end it may or may not get a bloated or sunken belly. Usually takes about a week for the symptoms to play out.

Fish that are hanging at the top may be avoiding an aggressive tank mate.

If you suspect bloat then you should treat the entire tank. Even fish who are not showing symptoms need to be treated.
Start by doing a partial water change of 30% with a good quality dechlorinator and siphon the gravel.
You can use Clout or Jungle Parasite Clear

Please post back with any additional questions or concerns.

Robin

1 - 2 of 2 Posts