Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from vacation last night and found my Albino Ruby Red dead. No torn fins or signs of aggression. He always hung out by one rock near the sand. He's always been there for the 3 months I had him. Anyways, after I took the body out, I noticed that my Copadichromis trewavasae was breathing heavily. I fed the tank and he didn't eat, so I took him out, put him in a hospital tank and treated with Parasite Clear overnight. He died a few hours ago. Is it bloat? I've attached some pics after he died. Everyone else is doing fine.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Hi

Sorry about your fish.

There's not a whole lot you can tell from looking at a dead fish. The symptoms in the days and weeks leading up to a death are going to be what will help us most but let me ask a few questions.

How many and what species are in the tank? How big is the tank? How long have you had these particular fish? Water parameters? How often do you do partial water changes? The fish that just died: was he staying in one particular area of the tank? Top? Hiding?

Was there someone feeding your fish while you were away?
Look at the other fish in the tank: any of them showing any kind of symptoms? Gasping? Spitting out food? Hiding?

Robin

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Robin said:
How many and what species are in the tank? How big is the tank? How long have you had these particular fish? Water parameters? How often do you do partial water changes? The fish that just died: was he staying in one particular area of the tank? Top? Hiding? Robin
I have a 55 gallon all-male Peacock/Haps tank. Inhabitants are one of each:
Cobue
Ngara Flametail
Ruby Red
Benga Sunshone
Otopharynx Lithobates Z Rock
OB Peacock
Lwanda
Albino Ruby Red {dead}
Copadichromis trewavasae (Mloto Likoma) {dead}

They are all around 3.5" - 4". The Lwanda, Copadichromis trewavasae, and OB Peacock were added a month ago. Everyone else has been in the tank for 3 months. I'm running an AC110 and Rena XP3 filter. I do 50% weekly water changes. I did a WC right before I left. I haven't and didn't check water parameters in a while since everything's been in the correct range for 2 years now. The fish that just died was near the top of the tank, but not at the very top nor was it hiding behind intakes. He was fine before I left for my vacation (7 days ago).

Robin said:
Was there someone feeding your fish while you were away? Robin
My mother came by and fed them twice while I was gone. This has worked in the past.

Robin said:
Look at the other fish in the tank: any of them showing any kind of symptoms? Gasping? Spitting out food? Hiding?
Robin
The other fish are fine. They all swim to the top when I approach the tank. They are breathing normal and eat fine. No hiding or chasing either.

I'm so confused as to what caused their deaths. What really kills me is that I've been looking for the Copadichromis trewavasae (Mloto Likoma) forever and now he's dead. :(

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Well nothing jumps out to me in your answers. Often when people go on vacation whoever feeds the fish often OVER feed them and people return from vacation to a tank of dead or near death fish. You might ask your mom if she did anything different this time. Perhaps she had something on her fingers that was toxic to the fish--?Not trying to get your mom in trouble here, just looking for answers.

It may have been aggression. You won't always see obvious signs.

For now I'd just do a partial water change, siphon the gravel and then watch the other fish very closely over the next several weeks. If you can occasionally watch them without them knowing you're there you might see some sort of tell-tale behavior as far as aggression goes. Make sure all fish are swimming normally and eat at every feeding, etc, all stuff you know.
Bloat is always a possibility. And where we don't know all the symptoms leading up to these two deaths you might consider dosing with JPC. Or at the very least, have some on hand.

Robin

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your help!

I'm going to assume it was bloat caused by aggression.

Due to all the stories that I heard of fish-sitters overfeeding, I set aside small one-time containers of food for my mom so that she couldn't mess anything up. Just remove cap and dump.

Once again, thanks! I thought I was one of the lucky few that never had a fish die to disease.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts