Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has had their Trophs bloat on NLS. If so, did you think the NLS was the reason? If not sure, would you mind listing any other possible contributing factors?

Thanks,

pete

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Yes. The usual, poor water quality (from adding lots of new fish) and agression in a new group.
Adding gobies at the same time may not have helped. :oops: :)

·
Registered
481 Posts
STRESS - It's all stress caused by any number of reasons - change of diet, aggression, poor water quality or anything at all including spawning (or any combination). Too many people have good results using different foods to blame a particular brand of food is all I am saying.

Ray (with my humble opinion)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would not rule out the possibility that the food caused the bloat but as has been stated there are other factors as well.

I would go through every thing leading up to the out brake and try to work out what happened. I have heard of other people that have had cases of bloat and food has been the cause.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
As a contributary factor it can not be ruled in or out but as loads of folk keep breed and raise Tropheus on nothing but NLS without bloat then as a primary cause its a none starter.
Now weather given poor water and aggression Tropheus are less likely to get bloat fed on veggie flake than NLS, well thats a possibility I guess, as is the reverse. :wink:

·
Registered
156 Posts
At a guess you could blame food for causing Bloat, but I agree with what aready been said, in that alot of other factors need to be considered.
I know of people who wont use NLS on their Tropheus because they got their first cases of Bloat when using this food and the change in diet is the only thing they have changed in there routine while keeping Tropheus.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
i have had single, adult tropheus/petrochromis, from within a tank of many others of their kind, succumb to the condition of bloat, without any further developments. one could assume from these examples, that if the feed choice was relevant, more fish should have been affected within the same time line. HTH.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I know of people who wont use NLS on their Tropheus because they got their first cases of Bloat when using this food and the change in diet is the only thing they have changed in there routine while keeping Tropheus.
I think in those cases that the fish may have been ripe for the disease and the change in food was the final stressor that brought it on. Possible they may also have overfed. Easy to do with NLS. Allowing trophs to gorge themselves on any new food is risky business. I think the reason it's never been nailed down to a single cause is that there is no single cause, just multiple stressors which weaken defenses and allow naturally occurring intestinal bacteria and parasites to multiply unchecked. JMHO.

·
Registered
358 Posts
i have been overfeeding 2 inch duboisi maswa for 4-5 weeks now almost exclusively 1mm nls...and have had no problems so far

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I've had some mbuna get bloat (not Tropheus) while NLS was part of their diet - but I don't blame the food, or rather, if it contributed in any way it was from added stress caused by me overfeeding them or changing their diet too rapidly.

You can overfeed with even the best of foods to the point of it becoming an added stressor, I believe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Over feeding can cause bloat but good filtration and water changes should over come this within reason. :lol: :thumb:
I beleive its not the food but the condition of the water and tank etc that cause bloat.
Most that feed 3 + times a day small amounts do best when young
But i cut back when they are older. Breeding on ward.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I believe there are several things that lead to bloat far before food becomes an issue... it's just like icing on the cake though.

Blaming it on food is the easiest thing to do so why not?

I know if it is the culprit I would have lost all mine long time ago, I feed my colony about 10 tsp. a day.

My other colony got a lot more then that and the only problem I had was not having enough people to buy fry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts