Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had what im sure was some bloat problems a while back in some of my smaller fish... i treated with hole in the head for 6 days everything was fine... now a couple monthes later it looks like my exochromis anagenys has it her tummy is fat but mostly by her butt hole and her poop is white and stringy...

my concern is what am i doing rong...i feed new life ... do my water changes like everyone else... why cant i just have a nice tank like everyone else

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
i_tend_to_trend said:
i had what im sure was some bloat problems a while back in some of my smaller fish... i treated with hole in the head for 6 days everything was fine... now a couple monthes later it looks like my exochromis anagenys has it her tummy is fat but mostly by her butt hole and her poop is white and stringy...

my concern is what am i doing rong...i feed new life ... do my water changes like everyone else... why cant i just have a nice tank like everyone else
How big is she? Almost sounds like she could be about ready to spawn - filling up with eggs.

White stringy poop doesn't always mean bloat. Sometimes my fish build up a string that doesn't fall off right away and as it starts to break down it turns white. It doesn't come out white though.

Is she eating food, chewing and swallowing or is she taking in food and spitting it back out? If she's eating and not spitting out then its probably not bloat. What kind of food do you feed?

IF it is bloat, stress is pretty much the cause. Stress can be caused by aggressors, small tank, high nitrates, etc. Overfeeding could be another cause. I've had fish I thought were in the early stages of bloat get better after removing them from the stress. I've also lost a fish even after removing it from the stress.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i feed new life

shes about 7 or 8 inches...

in a 220

no one in there really picks on her that i see... she eats very well that *** seen... i actually thought maybe she was wanting to spawn...

i have cut back on feeding because i thought thats what it was from the first time

maybe im just worried... every time i see a fat tummy now i think its bloat lol

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
to me sounds like she is full of eggs and ready to spawn. In a few days she should be holding eggs. If she's eating, then I'd continue feeding normally.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts