Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
We get our water from our well. Today, we had to replace the pump, after the service was done the tech. put some bleach in the well for killing any germs, they said its state law ...

Anyhow, how long should I wait until I use the water from my well to do water changes on my fish tanks?

Days, a week or couple of weeks? Thanks for any suggestions ...
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,916 Posts
In Ohio when a well has been chlorinated due to repair work or 'germ killing", it is normal to open all the house taps until chlorine/bleach is smelled, close the taps then not use the water for 24 hrs. Then all taps are opened & water runs until chlorine/bleach smell is gone. After that, you should be able to drink, bathe, wash clothes & do water changes on your fish tank.

I do agree with Laurel about using a dechorinator though. It never hurts to be on the safe side.

If you have a water softener, I hope the tech. told you to bypass it. Bleach/chlorine is not good for the softener resin & will often render it useless. At least that is what my softener installer & well pump guy told me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
542 Posts
We had to "shock" our well last spring during run-off. If you choose to just dechlorinate use extra because the amount of chlorine that is in the well after adding bleach FAAAAR exceeds any municipal water levels. I ran my water off & on for days and it tooks several weeks to get the water to the point where I couldnt detect the chlorine smell and even after that I dechlorinated for about 3 months.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top