Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14,646 Posts
under_control said:
Most blasting sand is very sharp and frequently made from iron slag, thus it can mess with water chemistry. Some have used it with no problems, some claim issues.
Actually, most blasting sand is silica based and not sharp at all. If your sand is white in colour, it's fine. Black blasting sand is made from iron ore slag and can be quite sharp, but it's inert and not water soluble; it won't affect water chemistry at all.

·
Registered
746 Posts
under_control said:
Most blasting sand is very sharp and frequently made from iron slag, thus it can mess with water chemistry. Some have used it with no problems, some claim issues.
I would also also disagree with this based on experience, however, in my search for the perfect sand I came to realize that sand is a very regional thing. So one persons blasting sand can be very different then another persons blasting sand.

The blasting sand I got a hold of is just a large grained sand. My understanding is that the sand is filtered into progressively smaller different sizes (mesh size). So in most cases sand is sand - sorted by grain size. But again, this varies depending on where you are.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts