Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just sharing some pics of my tank intending to recreate the blackwater habit of it's inhabitants. Angels(scalare), cardinal tetras, bristlenose and green phantom plecos. Unfortunatly I don't have the camera or the skills to get very good shots.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi Louie13,

Great tank, the tetras look amazing in that light.

Are the branches you are using "driftwood" or dead branches from a tree? Do they sink or float?

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Matt! I would say the moment I modified the lighting, the tetras changed immediatly in terms of colour and their behaviour for the better. I really think subdued lighting can make a big difference for them since it would replicate their natural habitat.

The branches are actually maple and not driftwood. I collected it in the fall, made sure it was the ends and there was no sap. I could not find any branch like driftwood and if I did it would probably cost an arm and a leg so I looked to nature instead. It floated for maybe a week, but even then barely to the point where I could bury one end into the substrate or put a small rock on it to keep it down. Just have to kind of play around with it.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Looks great, just be careful of the branch rotting. Black water tanks are my favorite. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Lookin good.

Love the Scalare. Are they wild caught?

My four are very well behaved. How about yours?

....Bill

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Monte. They are not wild caught. But I did try my best to find ones that are "wild type"
since I was going for a biotope theme.

I didn't get a bunch and wait for them to pair off, didn't care about breeding so I just grabbed two and hoped for the best. Just wanted them to get along. They tend to cling to eachother and seem to get along for the most part. One has started to rough the other a bit though on occasion and i'm seeing some nipped fins from time to time on both. I'm guessing one is male and trying to "court" the female but dont' know for sure. But for the most part they are hanging out together and are cute together. I also keep malawi's, so to me any minor squabbles seems like nothing at all in comparison they are(pardon the pun) Angels :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. Actually, its just a regular daylight spectrum flourescent tube. But I covered the classed with electrical tape where it sits on, leaving only the middle area uncovered for the light to shine through. Here's another shot for a better idea.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hi Louie.
There is nothing nicer that a South American Bio-tope. Looks great.
Just one question. How long are those branches dead and what species of tree is it.
I am probably wrong ( as usual ) but they look very fresh.
Sorry for being a stick in the mud

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. Around 5 weeks dead, dormant over the Canadian winter prior to that. You're not being a stick in the mud, I shared your concerns about the branches as well. So far so good, but I do think I might want to try some branchy manzanite but haven't had any luck finding any.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The blackwater type are very artistic IMO but I have to admit , the first set of pictures gave me a small headaches . LFS has wild type scalare from Peru , I've been thinking about getting six or so as they are not bonded pairs. I've already bought six of the twelve " dumerlii " from them and love them !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts