Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have the opportunity to buy a few and I was wondering if their temperament is like other Acei? Anyone have pictures?

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
"Tanzania black" usually refers to the Itungi collection point if I remember correctly. Their bodies are midnight blue like the Ngara, but have yellow fins.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hopefully, someone with more experience will come along, but I have had 7 Itungi acei since last August. I haven't kept other acei variants, but based on what I've read, the Itungi behave similarly. The coloration of the sub-doms varies from light to dark black with yellow fins, while the most dominant often displays blue on his face and sometimes hints on his body when he's really showing off. The dominant also has a little more white in his dorsal fin. I keep them with msobos, hongi, and white labs, and the acei are very attention grabbing. They're definitely one of my favorites, and I would highly recommend them.

My pictures tend to not do them justice, so here's a link to the person who I got my acei from: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... f35c861038
If you've seen the ngara (white tails), these guys are very similar but with prettier yellow tails (I may be biased).

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
KL is correct, they are generally very docile. I've never seen any type of aggression from them against any other fish in my tank. And unlike all of my other mbuna they also seem to love to swim together higher in the open water column. When the males are displaying to the females, they are stunning IMO. They breed regularly(I have about 80 fry from them now) and are voracious eaters, hovering around the surface and sticking their heads out of the water when I feed them. You can literally hear the water snapping when they eat! The pictures in the link are from my original group, and here's one of their offspring from the last of a brood that I sold recently. He was stunning. Sorry about the poor quality of the picture, these guys don't stay still for a second!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
KL, that is an awesome picture and I can only hope that one of mine turns out like that.
They are great so far, they like to swim in a school and they are always moving.
Thanks all

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well my babies are having babies, but the female has a deformed mouth so I'm a little concerned about what I should with the babies. I will probably let nature take it's course and see if any survive.

What would y'all do?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts