Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Happy Thanksgiving 1st of all to everyone!

Was wondering what your take is on this? Got 6 Acei all at the same time and so far so good. Don’t see any issues or problems. :)

Was wondering what your thoughts were on 2 of my Acei having random black spots or pigment?

They seem totally fine as do all the fish in the tank. Wondering if this was just some sort of a coloration thing and not a sign of a problem at all.

Parameters are fine with Ammonia and Nitrite at 0, PH at 8.2 and Nitrate at 10.

Keep the tank at 77 and it’s 3 months in so far. They are in a 75 gallon along with some Yellow Labs and Rusties. 18 in total.
Water Botany Organism Fish Fin

Water Fish Fin Underwater Terrestrial plant
Plant Terrestrial plant Aquatic plant Natural landscape Rectangle

Water Fin Fluid Underwater Fish

·
Super Moderator
8,309 Posts
My guess it is just pigment that has accumulated in different spots as it doesn't appear raised at all.

Some people attribute it to poor breeding stock or poor water quality and husbandry, that latter not applying to your tank.

·
Super Moderator
8,309 Posts
If you use a lot of spirulina it might be spirulina spots.
I've heard that suggestion before and I myself have repeated it previously in a couple forums but I was told that there is no scientific proof or peer reviewed studies that show spirulina causes black dots, specks or 'peppering' marks on fish.

There is something called black spot disease (which isn't a true disease) that sometimes appears on fish that are raised outdoors in large ponds which usually have an earthen bottom.

·
Administrator
40,586 Posts
I agree, quite common on pond raised fish. It can show up weeks or months after purchase but it usually goes away on it's own after a VERY long time because the parasite needs a heron to complete it's life cycle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Appreciate the replies. I do feed 2 foods, flakes and pellets from Sera. They both have spirulina content as I thought that was good for them. Can switch to a different food is there is one you guys think is better?

If of course the food has anything to do with this in the 1st place.

Again, they seem fine otherwise.

·
Administrator
40,586 Posts
Spirulina is good for them. I think Deeda was explaining spirula spots may be a myth. When did you get your fish and were they raised in a Florida pond?

Reactions: Deeda

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’ve had them about 3 months and purchased them from what I consider is a reputable store in Largo, Florida.

From what I’ve heard though is that most of the fish purchased in my neck of the woods from local fish shops are raised right here in Florida.

Also know there seems to be a good amount of these pond raised fish farms around here so maybe they were raised this way?

·
Administrator
40,586 Posts
I would agree. You may get another spot or two in the coming months, just monitor to ensure the fish are not completely covered with them. (I have never seen this in aquarium fish...just pics of farm fish.)

For me the spots did not go away for a year or so, and then one day I realized they were gone. I did try prazipro but no impact. This will likely go away on it's own.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts