Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I need some help. My blood parrot cichlid has black spot disease. My tank is 120g 48"x24"x25" all the water numbers are good. It started out as a little black spot and now it covers 90% of his body. He's acting a little sluggish but I have been medicating with Prazipro and he seemed to pick up a little.I have tried everything else and nothing is working. He does eat a little and gets around the tank, but only to hide from spot to spot.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
You are chasing ghosts with the razipro treatment. And, unless you have introduced new occupants to the tank recently? The Flukes that would cause the black cysts on your Blood Parrot (BP), have already, long since disappeared in the infestation life cycle of this parasite. So, no.....
I believe you are actually dealing with a common skin/scale black spot condition among BPs, that manifests most strongly with - STRESS. Casual indicators and some recommendations to hopefully mitigate the problem are as follows,
- Temperature. BPs prefer things on the warmer side in their aquariums. If you haven't done it already, I would bump up - sustain the temperature in the aquarium, to a constant 80 - 82 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Nitrates. BPs and Cichlids in general, are sensitive to measured Nitrates in the water of their aquariums. Keeping things below 20 PPM is considered the norm for these Cichlids. CAUTION: measure the water of the aquarium with a test kit. If you have high measured Nitrate levels, dilute/reduce those levels slowly to minimize the potentially lethal effects of water chemistry shock, (anything above 50 PPM in measured Nitrate level is considered very high).
- Water flow. Cichlids all thrive under water conditions with high levels of oxygenation and flow. And no, I'm not saying that your BP should be 'blasted' with excessively strong filtration current or anything. But, a high water turnover in Gallons Per Hour filtration rate will be appreciated by your BP. This will apply, even if it exceeds the 'recommended' filtration capacity and flow rate for the tank. Cichlids like strong water movement in their aquariums.
- Aggression. BPs are most commonly the instigator-in-chief of the community Cichlid tanks they are sometimes stocked in. And unfortunately, BPs have a tendency to punch much higher than their 'weight class' will actually permit. So, if your BP is getting harassed/bullied by much stronger or meaner tank mates? You may have to intervene by removing some fish from the aquarium to keep everyone as healthy and stress-free as possible.
-
Hopefully those recommendations will help. BPs tend to have those black spots. And, even with those black spots in abundance.... can actually be quite healthy and happy fish in the aquarium. :thumb:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for the info. I run it about 80 degrees and the flow is extremely strong lol. My gph runs about 940. He was the boss of the tank, now he is very submissive. Thanks again for the recommendations I will surly give them a try.

Tahnk you

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE---- It's been two days now and I have tried a new medicine with good so far results. Boss my BP was 100% covered in BSD. since using Kordon's Rid-Ich-Plus it has cleared up 20%. I will keep dosing every 12 hours and keep you posted.
:)

PS, how do you add photos?

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
There are instructions about posting photos in a "sticky note" at the beginning of each forum before you enter the topics.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
Awesome!
I'm always kind of amazed at how RESILIENT Cichlids can be, even when really sick. Just apply some work to reduce stress in the aquarium by getting,
- Temperature
- Water Quality
- Nutrition
Dialed-in right.
And they will often do most of the rest basically for you, to recover from what is bothering them - just fine. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts