Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to switch my tanks over to sand. I want to mix black and white. Its easy to find white silica sand. The only black sand *** been able to find is black sandblasting sand (black slag). *** been told not to use the black sandblasting sand. *** been reading on here about people using it. As anyone ever had any problems with it. Also do they make black PFS

·
Administrator
41,827 Posts
I've never seen colored pool filter sand. I thought that made sense since it's only intended purpose is to be used inside a pool filter.

·
Administrator
41,827 Posts
Depends on the sand, a big advantage of pool filter sand is it works pretty well with a python. Take a look at the sand-cleaning video in the Library for techniques that work with any sand.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'm using Black Diamond <2% silica blasting sand in one of my tanks and my fish love it.

Be careful cleaning it though, because you'll blast a hole right through your bucket.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I am using nickel slag in #20 grit which is the same size as PFS. It was very dirty but if cleaned in small quantities can be cleaned so there is no cloudiness to the water.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Going to run to the store today and grab some white silica and some of the black sandblasting sand (slag) and start cleaning them. I need enough for my 90 gallon and a 20 long for right now. The people that told me not to use the slag never used it so i guess they didnt know what they were talking about.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Around here, slag is used for municipal blasting jobs as it is considered less noxious than silica. The concern is what the slag is made from rather than what it is when it is slag. Black Beauty is coal slag which sounds bad because it is made from coal. However, activated carbon is also made from coal and we have no qualms about using it. My personal experience with it for about a year now is that there is no problem.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
It is what would be called sharp, as is silica. The material fractures when crushed so the edges are rough. There may be some minor difference in the roughness between it and silica but it isn't noticeable to me.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I might skip the blag slag. I got a decent sized gift card for the pet store and I cant think of much else id need from there other than some black sand. I'm going to be using the sand for start in a couple tanks for some shell dwellers that I'm traveling quite away for and paying a decent amount of money for. I don't think I like the idea of them digging around in anything sharp. I might do a slag experiment in another tank with some less expensive fish.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I cheaped out and bought a 50 lb bag of blag coal slag and a 50 lb bag of silica. It took forever to rinse. I got them mixed how I like them. Im going to give it a test run in a 20 long with a few fish to see for myself if its safe. If all goes well I will be switching over my 90 and 55 with it. I'm also going to be setting up a 150 for my fronts so I hope it works because switching over to sand will be about triple the cost if it dont.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.