Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for all sorts of black sand or silica sand for my new set up. I am trying to not spend an arm and a leg.
I would like to know brands products or even suppliers.

Preferably in Canada but if not well u can order some.

·
Administrator
41,982 Posts
Pool filter sand is 100% silica but not black. It is a great substrate. Black sands tend to be expensive and too fine for my taste. Also some fish can get muddy colors over black...I had it for a couple of years and threw it away.

·
Registered
31 Posts
IMG_20170904_151049718.jpg
Black Diamond blasting sand is cheap and works just fine for fish and plants but there is a lot more to growing plants in it then just the sand. The sand is easy for moving plants, changing the scape around with out making a mess. Easy to work with. It is inert.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If one is looking for black sand as a substrate that you can grow plants in then blasting sand is an option. Yes it is inert and by it's self has no benefits for growing plants but it is easy to work with when doing a planted tank. I'm sorry I should have elaborated more, if one wants to do a tank like this then other steps must be taken. Co2, ferts for the water column, and on the tank in the above post when I put it together I used osmocote + spread out sparingly for root feeder plants like swords, crypts, and even stem plants that will root when put in the substrate. In time as the substrate accumulates mulm it will also act as a fertilizer for the plants. There is a lot of balancing with this kind of set up for sure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay sounds good I am looking for black wines are for my Jack Demspeys. I am thinking about adding some floating plants so they don't get tore up completely. Substrate is more for aestectics for me anyways lol

·
Registered
404 Posts
DJRansome said:
Pool filter sand is 100% silica but not black. It is a great substrate. Black sands tend to be expensive and too fine for my taste. Also some fish can get muddy colors over black...I had it for a couple of years and threw it away.
They make black sand that is not fine. I bought a bag for my 75 gallon to mix in with the white sand I already had. The grain size of this sand is actually larger than what I had, its pretty big.

CaribSea Aquatics Eco-Complete African Cichlid Zack Sand, 20-Pound, Black [Link removed]

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
gillmanjr said:
DJRansome said:
They make black sand that is not fine. I bought a bag for my 75 gallon to mix in with the white sand I already had. The grain size of this sand is actually larger than what I had, its pretty big.
But yes there are some black "sands" that have decent grain size, however, I agree with DJ that it doesn't work well with most colorful species since they darken to try and blend with their surroundings. It's best to choose a mid-range neutral colored substrate for best color presentation of the fish.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
The black blasting sand is available in several grain sizes including, #12, #20, #40, at somewhere around $10 or $12 for 88lbs. The ones I have are nickel slag, and at least at first, they seem to kill snails.I prefer the #12 as the stuff is fairly light in weight.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I had black once many years ago. Even with decent lighting, the tank was too dark. I do have a tank now though that is "salt and pepper". That isn't too bad but I will never do all black again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.