75 Gallon
5 Yellow Labs
4 Yellow Tail ACEI
4 Multiplucatimus catfish
2 Tawain Reef
2 Red Jewl
1 Electric Blue

2. Setup for 1 year 8 months

3. I've had all the fish for 1 year 6 months except the Red Jewel and the Electric Blue which were just added. The Yellow Labs (not the sick ones) have actually spawned numerous times. I have two fry growing nicely and one that has grown to 1/2 inch and looks good.

4. Problem - There are two Yellow Labs that are having problems. One for a month and the other just started showing signs 1.5 weeks ago. One that I was able to catch is in a 20 Gallon Long cycled tank. I wasn't able to get the second one out of the main tank yet, but it isn't as bad as the one in the 20 gallon. The one in the 20 gallon long has a sunkin in stomach and has a problem with an eye. The other one, still in the main tank has some black spots on its sides and is looking a bit pale. I got a good picture of it, but haven't been so lucky getting a picture of the other one.

5. Water Paramenters - Did a water change yesterday (do them weekly, or try to. I miss one every now and then) - 10 nitrates - 0 ammonia - 0 nitrite. I use Prime to treat the water every water change. I add two cap fulls to the tank before adding new water.

I would appreciate any advice on taking care of these two fish. Here's a picture of the one in the main tank.

·
Super Moderator
40,904 Posts
Are the jewels spawning? They have a rep for being overly aggressive with tankmates when they spawn.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, the Jewels aren't spawning. One is quite a bit younger than the other. They keep to different sides of the tank for now? So the black marks on the Lab appear to be from aggression?

·
Super Moderator
40,904 Posts
If they did not have the black marks originally, then they are likely stress marks (not injuries or damage). Stress can have a lot of causes, but looking at your stock list aggression could be on the list. Aggression is often not witnessed, you may just see the result.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've seen him getting chased around quite a bit by one of the more aggressive Yellow Labs... There are two that I assume are a mated pair, because they're always lip locking or dancing around. I occasionally see one of them always seems to chase this one until it hides in the rocks.

·
Super Moderator
40,904 Posts
Malawi are harem breeders and do not pair. That's why it is recommended to have four females and one male when stocking a species. If there are not enough females to spread the aggression (often not witnessed) then each female bears more of the harassment burden. Can be harmful to the health. :thumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts