Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im on facebook the other day and my status states "I'm looking for cichlids" so a buddy I haven't seen since highschool messages me and says "do you really want some cichlids cause I have some."
So, I went over to his house with my buddy to go over to pick up the cichlids yesterday, we go up to his room and it's a DISASTER ZONE!!! I could smell the tank as soon as I walked in, It was about a 35 gallon and there were only about 4 inches of water left in it (did I mention the water was a blackish, green, brown murk?) absolutely DISGUSTING. Im like "are there any fish there?" Hes like "Yeah, there's about 15 black convicts in there" We couldnt even see ONE fish, the water was zero visibility!
So we load up the tank in the pickup, take it to myhouse and I get to work; 4.5 hrs later after an epic cleanse and transfer.
I cleaned substrate, rocks, heaters, canopy, plants, decoraions, EVERYTHING was covered in caked on GRIME!!! As I was dumping muck water into the sink an inch sized convict slipped into the kitchen drain pipe so I was like :x We lost a fish inthe drain!!" I thought quickly and knew if I worked deligently I would be able to rescue him! I ran outside, grabbed the plummbers wrench , opened the drain pipes underneath the kitchen sink and emptied out the water from in there and out came the fish! ( took about 10 min total ) He first plopped onto the counter and I then scooped him up and put him in the tank, he looked good and not damaged at all from his ordeal, thankfully!! I now have a family of 12 beautiful and surprisingly alive and healthy central american black convict cichlids. :D

They are alive and well and in a beautiful, clean 35 gallon tank - mama, papa and the kids
The papa is a HUGE tank measuring about 6 inches and the smallest baby measures about 1/2 an inch, all of them are happy :thumb:

BLACK CONVICT RESCUE :dancing:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was so into gettin in clean and ready and soo much work for almost 5 hrs straight that I forgot to take b4 photos,.. :? .but ,y description was detailed,.. I will definetly take after photos and post them.. :thumb:

does anyone know how to upload photos to this forum and what the fastest and best correct method to do so is ??

kind regards :fish:

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
That's AWESOME - yes definitely post pics - if you post them onto photobucket then you can just click the "img" link on the pic and then just paste it here, that's what I use.

Would love to see because I own a pair of cons myself and am getting red points soon - nice to hear you saved them!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys I should be getting photo on to the photobucket later today and then I'll link them here,.. :thumb:

·
Registered
597 Posts
Those suckers will multiply like rabbits but I would have rescued them too :oops: ...I'm such a sucker for animals in bad situations...

They look like they found a good home!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Rescue was a MUST, I had 2 extra tank just sitting around and those fish were in some serious trouble ( I can hardly belive they were still alive in that thick green muck water, it looks like the tank thye came from was never cleaned in 2yrs or something )

....anyways the photos that iv attached in my above message shows how nice and clean thier new home is and they are doing very well and thier behaviour and colors are much better now that its been about 2-3 days since the rescue :thumb:

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
That male is beastly! What a hump!!!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi YELLOWRAVEN,

Well done on the rescue. One of the femles in your pictures has great colors. The male looks to be quite old; did your friend mention how long he had them?

Thanks,
matt

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chubbs the Jellybean said:
That male is beastly! What a hump!!!
Ya hes Huge,... I measured him ata about 7 " and hes fat, I call him " The BLIMP " :p

...but im worried about him b/c his left eye is really bubbly ( anyone knows how I can fix him or if its dangerous for his health ? ) :-?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mlancaster said:
Hi YELLOWRAVEN,

Well done on the rescue. One of the femles in your pictures has great colors. The male looks to be quite old; did your friend mention how long he had them?

Thanks,
matt
No he did not mention the age,, but do you guys know from the measurments , hes about 7 " and he seems very slow moving and relaxed compared to all the other fish and mostly hangs out behind the greek pillars in the corner,.. :fish:

Yes the females are getting better color evryday now with the better living conditions :dancing:

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Pretty awesome dude, just got some red points in today so I'm hoping for a male as beastly as that

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Chubbs the Jellybean said:
Pretty awesome dude, just got some red points in today so I'm hoping for a male as beastly as that
Good luck with that,.. hope all goes well :thumb:

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Thanks man, I have a thread I just updated today if you wanna check it out in this section!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just counted the family again and there is a 13th ( his name will be Lucky ;) 8)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
now the big mamma just laid a batch of about 250 eggs in one of the ceramic pots :eek:

how many typacaly live from that many eggs ? what should I do ?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
dielikemoviestars said:
That family of 13 is quickly going to become a family of 2. A 28gal with a spawning pair will only be able to contain just that - the spawning pair.
If you read the entire thread of this particular family ,..what you mention is compleatly untrue..

instead they seem to just keep multipling more and more there are many differant sizes within the 13 and more to come
check the photos from earlier in the thread

1 - 19 of 19 Posts