Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup everyone, does this look like a Black Congo Calvus to you guys?? I received the calvus on Friday, the seller told me it was a Black calvus congo... what do you guys think??? also its a wild caught..

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I am tempted to say no but it can be difficult when they are young. The pictured fish has small pearls and is very light in color. I have wild calvus black Congo white pearl and they are much darker that the one pictured (granted I can't be difinative). The bcwp have larger pearls (actually the largest pearls of any calvus and they usually will have yellow on the forehead). I'll post a few pics of the bcwp (wild adult and F1 fry). I don't think yours is bcwp?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi there,
I am new to the cichlid world and new to this site, so thank you in advance for whatever help anyone offers to me.

I have a show tank with all males, including one Calvus Black Congo. I have had the majority of the fish for several months and just picked up the Calvus with a few others.

When I do a water change, he and only he sinks to the bottom of the tank and starts gasping. No other fish are affected this way.

The water I am using is from the tap, but I make sure the temp of it is the same as what is in the tank. I know he likes the water cleanest of all my fish, but I find myself not changing water as often, so as not to have him negatively affected like this.

Please help! Thank you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
**** yours look way better then the one I have. Its a black calvus congo. How big are your wild caught? The one I have is at least 2.5 inch. Should I tell the seller mines doesn't look like a black congo? Lol

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
I bought black calvus (inkfin) and could have sworn for months a white one got mixed in. Now they are all black as sin.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Jesseschu said:
Hi there,
I am new to the cichlid world and new to this site, so thank you in advance for whatever help anyone offers to me.

I have a show tank with all males, including one Calvus Black Congo. I have had the majority of the fish for several months and just picked up the Calvus with a few others.

When I do a water change, he and only he sinks to the bottom of the tank and starts gasping. No other fish are affected this way.

The water I am using is from the tap, but I make sure the temp of it is the same as what is in the tank. I know he likes the water cleanest of all my fish, but I find myself not changing water as often, so as not to have him negatively affected like this.

Please help! Thank you.
im sure i read a similar thread about this and the answer was the declorinator. What are you using?

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Yep you either need to reduce the size of the waterchanges (little and often) or pre age and dechlorinate your replacement water. calvus are fussy they hate chlorine and chloramines in tap water and hate pH changes caused by tap water having a lower pH because of carbondioxide dissolved in it from the mains pressure.
Dunno exactly which is coursing the problem with your calvus but a couple of experiments should find which one or wheather it is both that are causing the problem.

Oh its a nice calvus just not sure it is showing good enough colours to be a Congo black pearl for sure.
But lack of colour (clear black and pearl markings) due to it not being yet happy with your water change regime could I guess explain that.
For sure dunno what else it could be.
WC huh? Erm do they export baby fish from the lake now?
Oh a poor pics of my Congo Black Pearl (WC) I think :wink: to compare.
RAZZOs seem particularly well coloured to me.
Female

Male

All the best James

·
Registered
318 Posts
Looks just like my "Nsumbu black", apart from maybe the yellow on the head. I reckon half of these names are made up just to make them seem different or exotic/brand new.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Good spot. Yep the OPs fish looks very like a Altolamprologus calvus Nsumbu 'Black' and not like the newer more expensive Congo black calvus White Pearl.
I wish we did not have to use this none location name but I understand the collectors are keeping the location of the Congo black calvus White Pearl a secret. :oops:
The size and youth of the fish matches a young TB or pond bred Altolamprologus calvus Nsumbu 'Black'
but not any WC I have encountered.
Though it also looks quite a lot like the one shown on the species article http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/a_calvus.php a wild-caught male from Moliro :-?

All the best James

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Due to the fact that you received the fish 2 days ago I'd say it's a congo, definitely not an "Ink fin" or "Black Pectoral" or even a "White" but a Congo Black gone gray because of stress.

WC Calvus have a knack for adjusting slowly. I had a pair that when I added them to my setup they wouldn't eat for 2 1/2 weeks! they also tend to color down and hide for a couple weeks.

Substrate and presence of females has a lot to do (I could elaborate for days on this so I'll spare you here :D ) with both male and female coloration in this species.

Step#1 Patience
Step #2 black substrate
Step #3 add females
Step #4 Go to eye doctor! :lol:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Here's my male Nsumbu black. Spot the difference between this and a BCWP (if you can). Its a little lighter because of the flash - it normally looks darker than this.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Mr Mbuna said:
Here's my male Nsumbu black. Spot the difference between this and a BCWP (if you can). Its a little lighter because of the flash - it normally looks darker than this.
Beautiful fish! Not much different than a bcwp? It might be a stretch on my part but,... maybe,... mayne not,... the pearls are a wee bit smaller esp on the dorsal fin. As you said it is a little lighter in your pic than normal.

I definitely would not want to, have to, make a living trying to distinguish between them :)

Russ

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
The one on top looks a bit like the newer "Livua" variant due to the small spots but without seeing a group with this similarity I would hesitant to say for sure.

The one beneath seems to be more a sub-adult, probably right at 2 yrs. old. They both however, look like southern Congos to me. The blue finnage in the lower

All of this may be mute though because, if you look at some pics of the distribution facilities on the lake shores you will see tons of ponds (I'm guess 2-4 thousand gallons ea?) where they raise "Wild Caught" fish.

I don't really care that they do this but it would, over time, reduce certain traits over generations I should think. Pond raising is a step up from fishroom breeding I think but yet a step down from actual hand caught fish because fish that would be lost to interspecies predation end up surviving with assumed inferior traits in the ponds.

It's important to remember that all "Calvus" are genetically the same just color variants. I've never been patient enough to try it (They grow SLOW) but I would think I could create a white calvus from a congo black strain in 6-8 generations.

You've got nice fish though, imo!

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
BioG said:
The one on top looks a bit like the newer "Livua" variant due to the small spots but without seeing a group with this similarity I would hesitant to say for sure.

The one beneath seems to be more a sub-adult, probably right at 2 yrs. old. They both however, look like southern Congos to me. The blue finnage in the lower

All of this may be mute though because, if you look at some pics of the distribution facilities on the lake shores you will see tons of ponds (I'm guess 2-4 thousand gallons ea?) where they raise "Wild Caught" fish.

I don't really care that they do this but it would, over time, reduce certain traits over generations I should think. Pond raising is a step up from fishroom breeding I think but yet a step down from actual hand caught fish because fish that would be lost to interspecies predation end up surviving with assumed inferior traits in the ponds.

It's important to remember that all "Calvus" are genetically the same just color variants. I've never been patient enough to try it (They grow SLOW) but I would think I could create a white calvus from a congo black strain in 6-8 generations.

You've got nice fish though, imo!
Erm the colour and darkness etc is partly determined by genetics so different calvus variants are not geneticaly the same (though still described as the same species, variants are genetically different from each other)
For sure agree about the pond bred comments. (Though some pond bred fish (Fishes of Burundi) I have had have been great its not I think always this way as others have been rather poor.)
And just how slow it is to grow these guys on from small fish to breeding size.

Yep after looking pretty dodgy at first they do seem to be improving fast. 8)

All the best James

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Sometimes I make Broad "genetic" statements knowing someone will chime in and teach me something :lol: .

It's how I maintain pride while submitting to greater knowledge :lol:

Just for my own info, do you agree that one could create line produced variants similar and/or identical over generations? Or would the original gene, like the "yellow" Calvus gene, have to be present first for it to be produced and isolated through line breeding? Like Red hair in humans.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
I have no idea. Hey no one knows everything. 8) I guess yep it should be possible but no idea how long it would take. Prob quite a few generations (5+?) and with Altolamps each generation being about 5 years that is a very long time. Very quick to destroy a variant very slow to biuld a new one or rebiuld one would be my guess. But a guess all the same. :wink:

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
All the more reason to keep the wild lines/variants/locations pure right?! (Says the guy with a half WHite Calvus, half Buescheri swimming around this minute! :lol: ) IMO, you are one of the reasons this forum is awesome 24!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts