Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I have a 20 gallon long with 1 adult male Black Congo Calvus.

What do you think of leleupi as his companions?

If so, how many and could I get them to breed in this tank? (would be an added bonus, nothing more)

Thanks in advance for any information you may give.
Jesseschu

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hmmm, I've seen leleupi get violent in 4 foot tanks, but attitudes can vary from fish to fish. I think there is a possibility of getting a few juvies and thin them down to one pair to keep, but I think ONE pair is the most you could pull off in a 20L

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I was set on shelly's with the Calvus but then thought about trying to get some color to the tank...

What would you suggest in lieu of the leleupi???

·
Registered
656 Posts
If you want shellies, I really like the blue occies Really fun to watch, and they add a little bit of color to the tank. I have these in a 40 with 3 black calvus

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nice. I have been looking at them lately and do think they would be fun.

How many would you get for a 20 gallon long with one lone Calvus?

thank you for the help. My tank is nearing completion and I hope to be ready within a week.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I would say to start with 6, but there might only be room for 2 males in a 20L, so be prepared to remove extra's. I have 8 in adults in my 40, with 3 black calvus that are 2"

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
The leleupi are unlikely to bug the calvus, but they could beat each other up. Perhaps you'll get lucky and end up with a pair that get along though, I've certainly seen it done in tanks of your size.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Caudopunks may give you some color for your tank. I have one in a 30L with some juvie peacocks I am raising. I am looking to get a few more.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Caudopunks is a good option, indeed. I wouldn't go with Leleupi. These guys can get really violent in the tank.

:)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Personally, I would substitute the caudopunks for a smaller julie. The julie will stick closer to the rocks. IME caudpunks hangout in front of their cave and cause the shellies some grief.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.