Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As always, thank you in advance for the advice.

I have a Male Adult Black Congo Calvus. He is going in his own 20 gallon long very soon.

Any recommendations on how I can find him a female mate?

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
Fish club or a want ad in the Trading Post. And I'd try to get more than one because he may not approve of the one you select.

I will let others chime in about how the pairing process would work in a 20G, I have never kept calvus in a small tank.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks DJRansome.

Anyone else have any particular best practice to share? Would love a consensus or several angles.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
www.C - harmony.com :lol:

I like to introduce females first, keeping the male in a standby (That is, if they didn't already grow up/out together) for a few days. Let the females find an area/shell/cave. Then intro the male.

Sometimes, though it can be risky if you're not able to observe the tank a lot during the intro, adding as many females as you can (Up to 6 if you have the luxury of that many) along with an additional male (Make sure the dummy, or additional, male is smaller than the one you plan to keep. That way the "dummy" won't accidentally take over the females and leave you with the least favored of the males.

What the "dummy" male does is promote urgency and competition with the dominant male. The dominant male and some of the more dominant females might beat on him a bit (The bigger male will kill him or chase him right out of the tank given enough opportunity and/or time!) but It shouldn't take long for a breeding age male to start claiming every female in sight jamming her into a shell etc. :lol:

This method can be useful if you only have access to one prospective female and want to encourage a pairing.

Keep in mind some males are more likely to pair than others. I have one male Zambian who will pair with any number of females I throw at him (At one time he was trying to manage 7! Must be the Utah water! :lol: ) and another who doesn't even like the one he's paired to it seems :roll: But most of them given a choice of 2 or 3 will pair with at least one of them.

I take that back, slightly because, imo, they really only "Pair" to one, allowing that one to hang out with them, stay close together even when not breeding etc. That one I would just call the "dominant female" as she will beat on some of the other females from time to time (The girls work out there own pecking order) even when the dominant male is breeding with them. So I say paired meaning that the male will accept more females but prefer only one. :thumb: Good luck and let us know how it goes

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
reading over your post again :oops: let me correct myself and encourage you to keep only one pair in a 20 gallon. It's not likely a dominant pair will be as forgiving in a tight space. Not that 20 is tight for two but anymore and I smell carnage.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much for the expert info.

Additional question: When and if I can finally get to a pair in the 20 gallon long, would you put any other fish in there (shellies) or simply keep the 2 in there alone?

Thanks for the great info. I have been waiting for a response like this. It really helps!

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
To be honest I would follow Razzos advice and pair them up in a bigger tank. But only in a bigger tank.
Then move them to the small 20g.
If you realy want to breed them then what more than a pair do you want in a 20g?
You will still have to take the young out away from the male and female in any case.
First my female nearly killed my male and then my male nearly killed my female before mine learnt to like one another and this in 75g with other Altolamps to distract them.
While its not imposible to pair adults in a 20g its not something I would recommend unless using the devider method. You keep em iether side of a tank divider untill they show clear sines of accepting each other and the female has a shell she is used to using, then make a hole in the divider and carefully watch what happens. Be ready to separate them and try a few times as it does not always work first time.

All the best James

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you James.
I think to keep things simple, I will probably keep my male solo and add a colony of shellies with him. I really just want to have him happy in his own 20 gallon long, as he is currently in a 75gallon with 15 other males (mixed), doing ok but not thriving.

Any rec on shellies? multi, caudos or occelatus???

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Think any of those could work as a pair (if got big enough) in a 20g with a single male Altolamp black calvus esp if he is not huge.
Occies might be the most agressive to each other as well as to him so maybe that would be my least fav mix. I find mine mix well with calliurus
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... hp?id=1745
they leave each other alone very well.
I guess he will prey on any shelly young though.
Why do you think he is having a hard time in the communty?
Big comps?

All the best James

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
I'd do brevis because of the tank size.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He is doing ok, but it is an effort to get him food, as the other males come to the top readily and he sits back, more cautiously.

I am wanting to do this also because he is picky about water changes, in that he doesnt tolerate water straight from the tap. The rest of my fish in this tank do fine with large water changes per week and it keeps the tank so much cleaner.

I will put him in a 2 gallon long with a very low bioload, so as to control that environment more.

What do you think about leleupi as his companion? If so, how many in a 20 gallong long???
Thanks!

·
Registered
139 Posts
20gal just seems a little small to me for even just a single pair . Calvus/comps have always seemed like fish that are always just a little more sensitive to water quality. That small of tank just makes more water changes & cramped quarters. The pairs I have had in the past always got pretty big as far as a 20g is concerned. I have a Male Black Congo (looking for some girls as we speak) that is an honest 4.25" long. 20 is to small for him & a couple girls. jmo

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Jesseschu said:
He is doing ok, but it is an effort to get him food, as the other males come to the top readily and he sits back, more cautiously.

I am wanting to do this also because he is picky about water changes, in that he doesnt tolerate water straight from the tap. The rest of my fish in this tank do fine with large water changes per week and it keeps the tank so much cleaner.

I will put him in a 2 gallon long with a very low bioload, so as to control that environment more.

What do you think about leleupi as his companion? If so, how many in a 20 gallong long???
Thanks!
Hope thats 20g not 2. No if he is a gentle guy I would not put leleupi with him.
Those guys are meen even when not breeding. Breeding they get pretty psycotic.
20 g prob not enough room for them to hold a territory and alow him enough space.
I take it your not very excited about the brevis pair idea?
Such a home loving shelly useful in tight spots.
No reason you could not have a shoal of some none tang dither fish in there to keep him happy and less borred.

All the best James

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Brevi sounds good James. I think I will try that, but your idea to have some non-tang Dithers might work well. While I am all about cichlids, my son is into non-cichlids too and he would be psyched for that probably. Great ideas!
Thanks James and all others helping me figure this out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts