Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all. I was lucky enough to find a full size male black calvus at my LFS for a relatively good deal. I brought him home and acclimated him and eventually added him to his new home. the next morning after the lights came on and he wandered out to eat i noticed the expanding part of his mouth was seemingly stuck out. now its been a week and his mouth is still stuck in the "expanded" position.

What can be done to fix this? (being an adult it must surely be at least 3 years old, so i cant imagine that at some time in its life this hasn't happened before, right?)

thanks in advance, DJ

·
Registered
278 Posts
I know i have seen this question before - not sure how to fix it. One of my Redfin Caudos looks like he has the same problem. He is eating and seems to be acting normal but clearly his upper lip is extended out and appears stuck.

·
Registered
714 Posts
well...I thought one of the calvus experts would speak up...this is caused because a ligament that attaches their lip to their mouth was strained and is now unable to close. The mouth is then unable to close, and the fish has that protuding lip. I've heard the way to fix it is to catch the fish, and try to manuever the lip back into place GENTLY with your fingers.
Best of luck with this!!!

Manoah

·
Registered
256 Posts
if I remember correctly, I saw a video on you tube where a guy fixed this problem with one of his fish. Good luck with your fish.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi to all.
thanks to all for your advice. another question i have about it is this. is there any time limit to this? i wont be able to do this until next weekend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts