Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone direct me to articles or help me out with breeding these? I have 3 females and 1 male in a 45 BF, 36" long I believe. From what I understand, 3 females are necessary to avoid aggression issues, but I'm still having trouble with the 3rd female getting bossed around and not having a territory by the dominant female. I had 2 spawns at either end of the tank a month ago and I thought the 2 females were going to kill her. I've adjusted the rocks a few times and still can't nail it. Is my tank to big? Maybe just try the trio and see what happens? I'd like to keep all 3 females if possible and I'm concerned the dominant female will just turn all her attention to the last female and take over the tank.....Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
40,483 Posts
The fish are telling you that 3 females is not going to work. In a 36" tank you would expect to start with six juveniles and end up with one pair. Remove the extra females.

It is challenging and a big, long-term commitment to raise calvus fry...read the Cichlid-forum article about this in the Library to ensure you want to take this on. Look in the Breeding section for the article authored by Razzo. I did it once and never again. I had 180 fry from one spawn and had to use 2 55G tanks to raise them. And that was the easiest part.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
DJRansome said:
The fish are telling you that 3 females is not going to work. In a 36" tank you would expect to start with six juveniles and end up with one pair. Remove the extra females.

It is challenging and a big, long-term commitment to raise calvus fry...read the Cichlid-forum article about this in the Library to ensure you want to take this on. Look in the Breeding section for the article authored by Razzo. I did it once and never again. I had 180 fry from one spawn and had to use 2 55G tanks to raise them. And that was the easiest part.
If you remove the extra females, before they've spawned, there is a high probability the male will kill the female... so the right approach is multiple females.

It's unfortunate that the extra female is being bullied, but it's not a shock, as there really isn't enough room in a 36" long tank for all of them. I'd recommend an upgrade to a 48" tank, but if that isn't possible, remove the female, and hope for the best with the rest.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts