Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I hope I'm in the right forum for this. After getting some help by another helpful member remembering the name of this fish I have lots of questions about it if anyone can answer. I am soon setting up a 75 gallon tank and (once its cycled of course ) Its inhabitants will be Angelfish (probably the 6 I have now) Cory's and I was hoping to get a wavrini as a centerpiece. The tank will be set up with sand and planted but not heavily and will have driftwood. Should I get a single or a pair? How big do they normally grow? Will they be okay in a 75? And any other info you can give me will be appreciated since I don't know much ab[/img]out them. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
You might not get a lot of responses, they are not a commonly kept cichlid. Closely related to Biotodoma cupido, most things that apply to that species will apply to B. wavrini as well ... except B. wavrini is more a blackwater species than B. cupido.

Expect 5-6" and thick. They don't do well with more aggressive cichlid species, angels would be perfect. A 75 would be fine for a pair.

·
Banned
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your response. I asked the same question in a different forum and they told me only 2 angels should be in a 75. I'm so attached to them I could never part with them which is why I got the bigger tank. they are okay now in the tank they are in because they are still small but I plan on keeping all of them for their entire lifetime.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I think that you should be fine with angel and other fish in the tank, you may have problems with angels if they pair off and start spawning, but, that will be fairly obvious. Angels can be vicious parents and any Biotodoma that I have ever seen were quite timid. The bonus is that angels are mid water oriented and the Biotodoma should be more bottom oriented from my experiences and will likely ignore eachother for the most part.

Good luck with a pretty rare fish, at least around these parts :thumb:

·
Banned
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RayQ said:
I think that you should be fine with angel and other fish in the tank, you may have problems with angels if they pair off and start spawning, but, that will be fairly obvious. Angels can be vicious parents and any Biotodoma that I have ever seen were quite timid. The bonus is that angels are mid water oriented and the Biotodoma should be more bottom oriented from my experiences and will likely ignore eachother for the most part.

Good luck with a pretty rare fish, at least around these parts :thumb:
Thanks! I have a 36 gallon I can put an angel pair in if they pair off, the only fish that would be in there are 3 rams and some cories. I think I'm going to go to my LFS tomorrow and see if I could possibly pay for that fish and leave it there until my tank is ready or see if they can order me another one when it's time. I figured it was rare because I've never seen one anywhere else, it was in a tank with a bunch of big angels and it seemed quite peaceful.

·
Registered
206 Posts
LFS here in texas have been getting large groups of both B. cupido and B. wavrini . I have a large group of both . Both species are small so I would guess F 1 ? Unless the collector collected at the certain time of year where smalls are promonant . Both species are different and are a joy to keep and once established , they seem to be rather hardy . Good luck on your fishes ! :fish:

·
Banned
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bamboo said:
LFS here in texas have been getting large groups of both B. cupido and B. wavrini . I have a large group of both . Both species are small so I would guess F 1 ? Unless the collector collected at the certain time of year where smalls are promonant . Both species are different and are a joy to keep and once established , they seem to be rather hardy . Good luck on your fishes ! :fish:
Wow I would love to see pics if you have any! Thanks for the info!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.