Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Biomax in my middle and bottom media basket in my FX5. It says to replace the biomax every 6 months, which I think it will last longer. Instead of purchasing new biomax do you think one could just remove one tray, boil them to clense them of all the gunk, place them in a cooler bucket with dechlorinator and re use. I think they would be just like brand new ones. Also you still have your other bucket full of biomax full of good bacteria.

·
Registered
72 Posts
In my sump I have been told to never take them out,to just let them disintegrate and add new ones on top if needed.

Becca
:fish:

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I would use a biomedia that didn't dissolve, if I could. I never replace my biomedia. Regardless of the 'features' biomax may claim to offer, they wouldn't offset having to replace it periodically. That sounds risky and like more hassle than should be necessary.

·
Registered
162 Posts
You don't need to replace it. I think this is just a way to try and get you to spend more money on their products. And definitely don't take it out and boil it, you will kill all of your beneficial bacteria :( . Just use a 5 gallon bucket of tank water to rinse your media off in when you clean your filter. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I would imagine it would take a LONG time. Those rings are pretty thick.

Yeah, just rinse occasionally in tank water (or tank-safe water).

·
Registered
121 Posts
Had them for 3 years and they look like the day I put them in there. There is NO reason to change them every 6 months, and if your using prefilter rings and foam they shouldn't be getting that gunked up.

The joy of canister filters is their cheapness to run oncew set-up :thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts