Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently setting up a 90g i bought but I let it sit to long and now the bio wheel has dried up. Is it completely worthless now or can i rinse it with water from my current setup and then use water from my tank to get it going again?
Thanks

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
You can get it going again, but not with tank water. Take some filter media from your existing tank and put it in the biowheel filter. You'll have to then give it time to seed the biowheel before it can handle a load of fish. You can feed the bacteria by introducing ammonia. See fishless cycling.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
czar_wilson said:
So basically I'm going to have to cycle it like I would a brand new one.

Thanks prov356
Yes, pretty much. Don't trust it to handle a load of fish. Seeding it will get it going quickly again.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Think I could put in on my current setup and let it run until seeded or will it hurt the fish/ ammonia levels

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
czar_wilson said:
Think I could put in on my current setup and let it run until seeded or will it hurt the fish/ ammonia levels
That's another option, but I'd go four weeks with it. 6 weeks is better. And then stock slowly and test. I almost suggested this, but seeding with media from the existing filter is faster. If yiou don't want to fishless cycle, you could seed and then add a very small load of fish and test. It can work out that way, but you have to keep an eye on things.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts